Looking for a lightened up version of a classic potato soup? Then this healthy Creamy Potato Soup is just for you! Filled with veggies and topped off with a lighter half and half to give that creamy flavor and texture, you won’t regret adding this to your meal plan this week.
Rest assured, this recipe is straightforward and delicious. See for yourself!
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
(1 + 2) Start by sautéing the oil with the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic for about 5 to 7 minutes (or until onions are translucent.) You can do this on saute mode in your Instant Pot or in a large pot with a lid over the stove.
(3 + 4) Add the potatoes, water, and bouillon to the pot. Place the bay leaves on top and return to Instant Pot to pressure cook for 20 minutes.
Note: If you are cooking on the stove, cook over medium to low heat so you can put the lid on. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 25 to 30 minutes.)
(5 + 6) When cooking completes, use a quick release if you are using your Instant Pot. Then, carefully cream the soup using an immersion blender or placing the soup inside a stand blender.
(7 + 8) If using a stand blender, add the soup back to the pot and stir in the half and half and cheese.
Viola, the soup is ready to go! Serve warm with desired toppings (crushed pistachios are wonderful!)
Here are a few tips to make this your own:
- Use whatever type of white potato variety you want! Russet and Yukon gold work great. Or, even swap in a purple and white sweet potato (we’ve done this and it’s delicious.)
- If you need this to be dairy-free, you can omit the half and half and cheese, it will be delicious but just not super creamy (more of a broth base.)
- You do not need an Instant Pot to make this recipe, however it may save you some time and sanity!
- An immersion blender or stand blender will work to create the creamy consistency.
What to Pair this Soup With
Other Instant Pot Recipes You May Enjoy
Remember, I did write the Instant Pot Cookbook For Dummies and am a HUGE fan of using my pot.
Here are a few other Instant Pot favorites you may enjoy:
Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 30 oz white potatoes chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cubes low sodium vegetable bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup skim half and half
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ** salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios optional garnish
- To the metal pot of your Instant Pot, add the oil. Then press the saute function and set the timer for 7 minutes. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until onions are translucent. Press cancel.
- Add the potatoes to the metal pot and the two bouillon cubes. Pour 4 cups of filtered water over the top, then add the bay leaves. Secure the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to sealing and select the pressure cook function. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When cooking completes, use a quick release. Carefully use an immersion blender here to puree the potato soup together, or transfer to a high powered blender to pulse.
- If using a stand blender, transfer soup back to the Instant Pot metal pot and stir in the half and half and cheese.
- Serve warm with an optional pistachios and gluten-free cracker options.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Saute the first ingredients as directed in a large pot with a lid.
- Follow the next steps in adding the potatoes and bouillon with water and bay leaves, however when returning to heat turn to medium heat and cover with a lid. If it appears to boil over, lower heat.
- Heat for approximately 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Complete remaining instructions as above.