Filling, satisfying, and simple to make, this Healthy Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potato is the perfect family friendly meal. Easy to swap with ingredients you have on hand, and perfect for leftovers, you won’t regret making this tonight. Plus, this recipe freezes great for a freezer friendly meal to pull out anytime.
Comfort food. Healthy Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potato.
Honestly I never realized how simple this classic dish was until I had it one time at a friends house.
Ever since then we’ve made variations of Shepherds Pie in the Shaw Kitchen. I’m not going to say this recipe is “mess free”, because there are a few different steps.
But, I will promise you, it’s worth EVERY. SINGLE. DISH.
I’ll show you two options:
1) to make this in the Instant Pot
2) to make this on the stove, finishing in the oven
Rest assured, regardless how you choose to make this, you will enjoy every bite!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
- Patience. Yes, there are a few steps.
- Vegetables, especially potatoes. The more, the merrier I say when you volumize with vegetables. It will fill you up!
- Ground meat (or lentils.) You can use canned beans or another meat besides ground turkey based on what you have on hand.
- Herbs and spices. A bonus if you have some garden fresh herbs!
HOW TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY SHEPHERDS PIE WITH SWEET POTATO:
- Step 1: Assemble ingredients.
- Step 2: Cook sweet potatoes. You can use the Instant Pot for this, a microwave, or the oven.
- Step 3: Saute vegetables in oil with garlic and spices.
- Step 4: Brown the meat (if making ahead to freeze or cook later.)
- Step 5: Set the ground meat and vegetable mixture aside.
- Step 6: Take the skin off the sweet potatoes and mash them using a whisk, pastry blender or fork.
- Step 7: Mix milk, butter and spices into the sweet potatoes.
- Step 8: Get ready to assemble the pie(s). If you are making for the Instant Pot, you will have two 7-inch pans worth.
- Step 9: Place the ground meat mixture onto the bottom of the 7-inch pans (or keep in the skillet.) Spread the mashed sweet potato mixture over the top of the ground meat.
- Step 10: Wrap the pans in aluminum foil if you are going to prepare these in the Instant Pot (or freeze for later.)
- Step 11: Cook. Then let cool and remove from foil.
- Step 12: Enjoy!
NOTES AND PRO-TIPS ON MAKING THIS RECIPE FOR THE INSTANT POT:
- You can use your Instant Pot for every step of this recipe, including the saute! It may take more time (read you will have to wait for the sweet potatoes to cook first), but you will then only use one pan (aka pot!)
- Don’t forget to add water when cooking the sweet potatoes! This is a MUST!
- If cooking the vegetables and meat in the Instant Pot, make sure you rinse and thoroughly dry the pot before pressure cooking the finished product.
NOTES AND PRO-TIPS ON MAKING THIS RECIPE IN THE OVEN:
- You can use the same cast-iron skillet for this enter recipe. Other than cooking the potatoes, this is a no-mess cleanup then!
- Be VERY careful when touching the handle of your skillet. It WILL burn you.
- Add the optional cheese at the end of cooking and let broil for 2 minutes in the oven before pulling it out of the oven.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE HEALTHY RECIPES:
- Instant Pot Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Tomato Soup Pasta
- Mushroom Turkey Burgers
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Healthy Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot
- Or Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 each medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried black pepper divided
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk plant-based or cows if not dairy free
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese optional
- Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. Puncture the washed sweet potato flesh with a fork, then place them inside the Instant Pot. Secure lid, seal vent, and cook on Pressure Cook for 14 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet. Add in the onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the carrots, cook 3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, sage, rosemary, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Continue to cook over medium heat until turkey begins to brown (about 8 minutes.) Remove from heat.
- At this point, the sweet potatoes should be done cooking. Release pressure from Instant Pot and carefully remove potatoes. Discard water and dry pot. Return to Instant Pot base. When cool enough to touch, remove skin and place sweet potato flesh inside a bowl.
- Mash sweet potatoes. Stir in the butter, milk and remaining pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare two, 7-inch Instant Pot pans by evenly dividing the ground meat mixture and placing on the bottom of each pan.
- Spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly on top of the ground meat. If using cheese, sprinkle on top now.
- Wrap the pans in aluminum foil. I recommend using a double foil if you will freeze one.
- Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet inside. Place one of the 7-inch pans on top, then secure lid and seal vent. Select Pressure Cook, and set time for 15 minutes.
- When cooking completes, use a quick release. Carefully remove pan from Instant Pot and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If you are freezing the second pan, freeze for up to 3 months. Do not cook it prior to freezing. When preparing second pan from the freezer, let it defrost for at least 24 hours so it is not frozen solid. Cook on Pressure Cook setting for 25 minutes.
- Boil water in a stove top pan. Puncture sweet potatoes and add to boiling water. Turn heat to medium and cover with lid to let cook 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add oil to cast-iron skillet and saute onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir in the carrots and ground turkey. Add in the spices (1/4 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt) and cook until browned. Remove from heat.
- When potatoes finish cooking, carefully remove from hot water and discard skin. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mash potatoes using a fork, potato masher, whisk, or pastry blender. Mix in melted butter and milk of choice. Add in the remaining pepper and salt.
- Spread sweet potatoes over the ground meat mixture. Place in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes. If adding cheese, sprinkle on top and broil for 2 minutes before removing from oven.
- Serve warm.