Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf + 3 Ideas for Quick Fix Meals
Tight on time these days?
With the chaos of trying to manage work-life balance, I’ve been on the hunt for quick fix meals that require first and foremost, a no mess clean up!
Then, of course, the meal has to be fairly simple to make and without question taste delicious!
That’s when I started thinking about meatloaf. I mean really, its basically a meatball in loaf form right?!
Plus, meatloaf (or balls) are really quite versatile.
Not only can you serve it solo with a side salad (like the Steakhouse Chopped Salad here!), but you can also whip up one of these 3 simple meal ideas using the meatloaf as a base:
- Open Faced Meatloaf Sandwich:
- Toast a slice of thick whole grain bread and layer a thin slice of meatloaf on top! Top with steamed garlic spinach and a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce.
- Red Pepper Meatloaf Soup:
- To a cup of prepared Red Pepper or Tomato Soup (I like the Pacific Foods brand!), add one slice (or roughly 3 ounces) of crumbled meatloaf to the soup. Add a handful of baby kale and let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Carrots & Meatloaf Buddha Bowl:
- Using your favorite roasted veggies, slice up the meatloaf and throw it all together in a buddha bowl! The perfect combination of protein, carbs and veggies to power your day.
As you can see, the possibilities really are endless as to what you can do with this Slow Cooked Turkey Meatloaf!
And, it fits quite nicely with the theme of this years National Nutrition Month, “Going Further with Food!”
“Go Further with Food: Whether it’s starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a real difference. Preparing your foods to go further, by planning meals and snacks in advance can also help to reduce food loss and waste. This year’s theme for National Nutrition Month® encourages us to achieve the numerous benefits healthy eating habits offer, but it also urges us to find ways to cut back on food waste. Learning how to manage food resources at home will help you “Go Further with Food”, while saving both nutrients and money.”
In an effort to show you how you can go further with food, I’ll be sharing a few more tips this month to help you get creative in your kitchen and explore the endless possibilities of nutrient rich foods!
Now, lets get to the Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf!
- 1 pound 16 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs or GF alternative
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup marinara sauce
Line the bottom of a slow cooker with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, the egg, breadcrumbs and seasoning.
Spoon the meat mixture onto the aluminum foil, using a spatula to evenly distribute.
Top with 1 cup marinara sauce and cover, setting slow cooker to high.
Cook for 2-3 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Turn slow cooker off and remove lid, letting meatloaf cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Let’s chat! What’s your favorite way to go FURTHER WITH FOOD!