Need a quick, nourishing meal for dinner tonight? Look no further then these Instant Pot Healthy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Filled with lean protein and lots of fiber, it’s something you will feel great about feeding everyone in your family.
Wait, potatoes are healthy?
Yes, yes they are! And actually I just spoke to Good Housekeeping all about the nutritional benefits of this root vegetable here!
The difference between a russet and sweet potato boil down to the type of vitamins and nutrients contain in the flesh of the veggie.
For sweet potatoes, they’re jam packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene, two important nutrients for both eye and skin health.
Plus, they also have a punch of fiber, meaning when you eat them with other healthy fats and lean proteins, they’ll leave you full for hours later.
What can I stuff them with?
Whatever you want.
Literally, have extra taco meat? Use that.
Have a can of black beans and diced tomatoes? Bingo, you’re set.
Point being, use whatever you have on hand to make these Healthy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes delicious and nutritious.
To bring the nutrition up even more, take those frozen precut and washed bell peppers from the freezer and throw those into your Instant Pot with the filling!
Just remember to add avocado on top. That is a necessity, and filled with healthy fats to increase the satiety (or fullness) this meal will deliver.
Can I make these vegan?
Yes, you sure can! Just minus the cheese, yogurt and sub a lentil mixture (like this lentil chili) for the ground chicken used here.
Another idea would be to make a tofu sofrita like they serve up at Chipotle to stuff in these. I’ve got a recipe for these too coming in the Instant Pot For Dummies Cookbook set to hit shelves Black Friday 2019!
What if I don’t have an Instant Pot. Can I make this still?
You sure can. Either microwave or oven baked your sweet potatoes until you can puncture them with a fork and easily scoop out the flesh.
Then, use your stove-top to sauté the ground chicken and spices together, adding in the vegetables until tender.
Any other recipes you’d suggest I try for the Instant Pot that are also simple?
Try this Chicken Taco Soup!
Or, this Apple Pie Oatmeal!
Better yet, this Slow Cooked Pumpkin Trail Mix Cobbler!
Healthy Instant Pot Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 each finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 15.5 ounce can of low sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons low sodium taco seasoning
- Greek yogurt
- Wash sweet potatoes under cool water and puncture with a fork a few times. Set the metal trivet inside your Instant Pot inner metal pot and place 1 cup of water inside the pot.
- Add the sweet potatoes on top of the metal trivet and secure the lid, set valve to Sealing and select Pressure Cook-High with the Keep Warm setting turned off.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- When cooking completes, press Cancel and use Quick Release to remove pressure from the pot. Carefully remove potatoes and the metal trivet. Let potatoes cool. Discard the water from the metal pot.
- Return the metal pot back to the Instant Pot cooker base and select the Sauté- High function. Add the oil, onion, garlic, and jalepeno to the metal pot and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the ground chicken, cooking 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and taco seasoning. Let cook another 4 minutes.
- Press Cancel. Slice the potato down the center, leaving about 1/2-inch on each side. Scoop out about 1/3 of the inner flesh of the sweet potato and set aside for future use. Place the cooked chicken into the potato and top with avocado, cheese and plain yogurt if desired. Serve immediately.
Curious what to do with that leftover sweet potato puree?
Try these Sweet Potato Cookies!