Honey Flax Sweet Potato Cookies: Grab & Go Breakfast of Champions!
#Realtalk… I don’t think there I’ve ever met a sweet treat I haven’t liked. Okay, well maybe I can remember a few here and there (I won’t name names!), but a cookie is without question going to be a good friend of mine for life. I have a BIG sweet tooth and to be honest am not one bit mad about it!
I can tell you it has been a unique experience this past month to think outside the box to satisfy my sweet cravings without relying on processed foods.
Generally, I conquered my sweet demon this month by stocking up on new found staples I’ve incorporated into the Shaw Kitchen to equip myself for success. Let’s take a look!
- Frozen Mango & Berries
- Honestly, I was never a mango fan before, but the sweetness of a frozen mango hits the spot when I am craving a sweet treat post meal. The caveat is trying to have just one piece! I’ll let you know when I conquer that one.
- Agave Sweetened Wheat Puffs & Honey Flax Flakes Cereals
- Come on, we all remember those delicious Honey Smacks or Frosted Flakes that are nearly 99% sugar right?! Well, these gems I found have less than 6 grams of sugar and are so deliciously sweet from agave and molasses that when paired with unsweetened almond milk is even a win for Mr. CEO!
- Sweet Potatoes
- There’s nothing like the natural sugar from a delicious vegetable to get this RD’s heart pumping! I try to have a few baked off and ready to go so I can whip up a quick cookie or pancake in a jiffy. But, even flying solo with a sprinkle of cinnamon, drizzle of maple syrup and a few crushed almonds on top this treat is a true winner.
Since the weather was a sure downer this weekend in San Diego (but I won’t complain too much, I know we need the rain), I spent a lot of time cooking and sampling in the kitchen!
Friday night called for a warm baked cookie, so into the kitchen I went with my mashed sweet potatoes in one hand and those honey flax flakes in the other… only time could tell what I would come up with.
I have to admit, I absolutely love going into the kitchen with an idea in mind but no recipe to follow. Though it doesn’t always turn out a winner that night it did indeed!
Here’s the new Honey Flax Sweet Potato Cookie that really is A-OKAY to eat morning, noon and night.
Honey Flax Sweet Potato Cookies
- 1/2 cup sweet potato mashed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup stevia
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sweet potatoes, butter, egg, stevia, vanilla and salt in large bowl.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly mix dry into wet ingredients.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Drop dough into 12 round circles on sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, cool and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container for up to 10 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer!
Nutrition Per Serving