Searching for something to make with that leftover sweet potato casserole you’ve got? Then look no further than these Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes. Not only are they super simple to make, they freeze well for a grab and go breakfast all year long!
Truth be told, I don’t think I had a sweet potato until I met Mr. CEO about 12 years ago.
But, ever since then, I’ve really taken a liking to it!
They’re so nutrient rich, filled with vitamin A, fiber and the perfect source of natural sweetness to make everything just a bit sweeter!
I found a version of this recipe on a blog called Eat Run Repeat a few years ago and fell in love with it! Over time, I’ve modified these Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes to become my own!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
Now, if you are feeling more pumpkin (or have that on hand), you can certainly swap in pumpkin puree for sweet potato!
Add in 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice too for a bit more fall flavor!
The walnuts are a more budget friendly addition, but pecans certainly work as well. And, if you have a nut allergy in the house, swap in pumpkin seeds!
How To Make this Recipe
Start with your dry ingredients, and whisk them together in one bowl.
Mix your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Next, combine the wet ingredients with the dry, whisking them together.
Don’t forget to mix in the nuts! This adds a layer of texture to the pancakes that really brings home the sweet potato casserole flavor of fall!
Then, viola! Heat over the stove and serve them up with your favorite pancake toppings!
Pro Tips on Making this Recipe
- This is a thick batter. If you prefer a thinner pancake, add about 2-3 tbsps more of milk.
- Almond and oat are the preferred flavor profile plant-based milks I’ve tried in this recipe. You can also use a cow’s milk if you aren’t trying to keep this vegan.
- To add more choline (remember that important nutrient here), add in an egg. However, again, this will not be vegan!
- Do not let the pancakes cook too long on one side, they will burn!
Other Pancake Recipes You May Enjoy
Try these other fun breakfast staples we love to make in the Shaw Kitchen!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, vanilla and milk; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients, adding the walnuts at the end.
- Spray a griddle with cooking spray and scoop 3 tablespoons of batter into a small circle.
- Cook at low to medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove and enjoy!
- To make gluten-free, use a 1-1 gluten free baking flour.
- Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight back in the freezer.
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe! Feel free to comment below or tag me on Facebook or Instagram. If you decide to give them a try, be sure to tag me and use the #ShawKitchen so I can reshare!