Looking for a healthy cornbread recipe? Then look no further than this post! Filled with whole grains and cheese, this simple homemade cornbread recipe is one the entire family will get on board with! Feel free to spice it up with Hatch Chiles or keep it simple with the cheese, the options are endless!
Mr.CEO (my chief eating officer) has been dying for Hatch Chile season. Every single year, he buys an entire basket full and then within a week we are panicked because life happens and we haven’t got to use them yet!
Well, this past weekend (thanks in large part to COVID) we finally got around to writing down the tried and true recipes we always fall back on with our hatch chiles!
First up, this Healthy Cornbread recipe!
It’s so silly easy to make, you’ll regret ever buying boxed cornbread ever again!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
How to Make this Recipe
(1 + 2) Mix the cornmeal, flour and baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
(3) Whisk eggs together in a large bowl.
(4) Add the Greek yogurt, oil, milk and honey to the eggs. Whisk together.
(5) Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet.
(6) Add the hatch chiles and cheese.
(7) Mix all ingredients together.
(8 + 9) Spray an 8×8-inch pan with cooking spray. Add in the batter and sprinkle with additional chiles if desired. Bake.
If you are timid about making this recipe, do not be! Seriously, it’s really very easy and comes out like perfection every time!
Here are some helpful hints to make this healthy cornbread recipe:
- Use cornmeal, corn grits or polenta. They are all very similar! I chose a coarse cornmeal for texture, but if you prefer softer then use a fine ground cornmeal.
- Switch up the cheese (or omit entirely if you are dairy free.) You can also use a plant-based milk (soy works well.)
- If you or your family is spice sensitive, omit the hatch chiles, or use a milder pepper like a jalapeno, seeds removed.
- White whole wheat flour is a finer version of whole wheat that has more fiber than all purpose. You can use all purpose though if that’s what you have.
- I have not tested this with a gluten free flour.
Perfect Pairings for this Recipe
Hands down, I love pairing cornbread with something warm and comforting like a chili! Our favorites over here include:
Other Main Meals we Love to Pair with this Recipe
Healthy Cornbread Recipe with Hatch Chiles
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 each large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 each hatch chiles, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- To a larger bowl, whisk eggs. Add in the yogurt, oil, milk, and honey.
- Slowly combine the dry into the wet ingredients until uniformly combined.
- Mix in the cheese and hatch chiles.
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add the batter and sprinkle hatch chiles over the top if desired. Bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Let cool for 10 minutes when finished cooking before slicing.
- Enjoy with desired entree, and store in an air tight container for up to 5 days on the container, 10 days in the fridge, and 3 months in the freezer.