Looking for a family favorite recipe that those who are gluten-free can enjoy? Look no further because this Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf will come to your rescue.
First off, is meatloaf healthy?
Yes, it is when you make it with a few simple swaps!
First things first, let’s talk about the meat. While you can certainly make a vegetarian meatloaf with lentils, I know my grandmother would be rolling her eyes right now in her grave by just saying that.
To redeem myself, I’m going to show you how to make a lean meatloaf that’s high in protein using ground turkey and a whole grain like red rice.
I still use a whole egg in the recipe as you don’t want to toss that yolk! Remember, the yolk is where the nutrition is (and helps to hold your meatloaf together).
But, truth be told, I can’t take credit for this recipe. It was inspired by the wonderful Katie Cavuto and her latest cookbook, Whole Cooking and Nutrition.
What can I swap in this Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf?
Okay, well, almost anything.
You see, I went to make the quinoa meatloaf from Katie’s book I mentioned above and didn’t have quinoa.
But, we did have a plethora of fresh peppers from the garden and red rice.
Nevertheless, I knew the flavor profile could be altered slightly using the ingredients I had on hand but still keeping true in form her original recipe.
Seriously, that’s why I love cooking!
The great chefs behind these fantastic cookbooks give you the courage, inspiration and power to get in your kitchen and create your own unique twists on those classic recipes they share with you.
I highly recommend you first try out her original recipe, then give it a second whirl adding your favorite spices and herbs too, like this Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf!
Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 small red onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 Thai chili seeded
- 1 Serrano pepper seeded
- 1/2 cup cooked red rice or quinoa, brown rice, alternative whole grain
- 16 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- In a food processor, process egg, bell pepper, garlic, red onion, carrot, Thai chili and serrano pepper. Process until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combined pureed mixture with red rice, ground turkey and spices. Mix thoroughly together.
- In a 6 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray (or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper), place turkey mixture and pat down. If using the baking sheet, form into a 6 x 2 x 2-inch loaf.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165*F.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes prior to cutting.
- Top with desired sauce of choice.
Emma Sivewright says
This gluten-free turkey meatloaf is perfect for a healthy and delicious meal. Made with healthy ingredients like cauliflower, barley, and almonds, this dish is perfect for any time of the day.
Laminectomy Surgery Adelaide
Emily Kyle says
I’ve been searching for a delicious gluten-free meatloaf! This is perfect!
Natalie Rizzo says
Comfort food at its finest!
Love all the fresh flavor in this meatloaf!