Somebody call the Fire Department because it’s about to get #hot up in here!
If you’ve lived out West you know that fall does not really bring the changing colors to the leaves like out East but rather the terrible fire season. Our firefighters work hard to put out the wildfires that rage through the brush lands of California, and unfortunately this year because of our terrible drought I fear it may be worse than before.
Thus, let’s feed those firefighters! Enter… Smoked Firehouse Chili.
I have to admit, this Smoked Firehouse Chili is a perfect fit for those firefighters. Why? First off, Mr. CEO and I happen to be friends with a fireman who loves spicy things. Whenever he comes over, it’s like a spice fest in our kitchen! Trust me, I’m not complaining, you just need to wear goggles so you don’t cry. Nonetheless, anything spicy he always tells me is a winner in the fire house.
Second, this recipe is heart healthy. Unlike most traditional chili recipes, I’ve simple swapped ground beef for a lean ground turkey and textured vegetable protein blend. Say what? Yes, textured vegetable protein (aka TVP), or a vegan protein substitute that is pure ground soybean flakes. You add water or broth to it and viola, a hearty meat-like alternative with over 13 grams of protein per serving. Trust me, Mr. CEO was weary too, until he tried it. Then I got the text, “Wow- this is better than beef chili! What’d you put in this?” #missionaccomplished
I like to top this recipe with a little non fat Greek yogurt to give it a sour cream like feel (another #simpleswap!) and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese.
You can always bake off some potatoes and top them with this chili too. It’s a different twist on that Sweet Potato Chili from last year in a sense. Or, toss some tortillas in the oven. Cut them up and you have a non-traditional take on nachos. Whatever you prefer, I promise your taste buds will be satisfied with this combination.
Have a sweet tooth post-chili session? Me too! Check out Healthier Halloween Treats to whip up this month, you’ll keep your heart healthy while satisfying that craving.
What’s your favorite way to eat chili? Plain Jane, Loaded Potato, Macaroni?
- 2 cups texture vegetable protein TVP
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 oz 97% lean ground turkey cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 8 oz can reduced sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 serano pepper washed and diced
- 4 tomatillos washed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, combine thyme, basil, mustard powder, jalapeno powder, cayenne pepper and paprika in a small bowl.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of the TVP, stir until completely mixed.
- Slowly stir in the spice mixture to the TVP.
- In a crock pot set to low heat, add all ingredients together and stir.
- Let simmer for at least two hours for the flavors to meld together.
- Remove and enjoy with a fresh biscuit!