Looking for the perfect veggie burger to make from home? Then these Gluten Free Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers are for you! Hearty, healthy and oh so filling, you won’t ever want to buy a store-bought burger again!
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
(1) Preheat oven then get started on your saute.
(2) While onions and peppers are cooking with the garlic and oil, being to mash the black beans.
(3 + 4) Do not over mash! Use a pastry blender or the back of a fork to coarsely mash so there are still some whole beans.
(5 + 6) Mix in the sweet potato and combine.
(7) Stir in the spices to the black bean mixture.
(8) Add the corn to the saute pan once the onions are translucent, then remove from heat.
(9) Combine the saute mixture with the black bean mixture. Stir.
(10) Toss in the breadcrumbs and stir.
(11 + 12) Mix in the eggs. Stir until uniformly combined.
(13) Portion into 8 large, or 12 smaller, patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
(14) Cook until lightly browned and crisp on the edges.
Then viola, enjoy warm and serve as desired!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while making these burgers:
- Do not over mash the black beans. You want a coarse mash, so some beans are still whole. I DO NOT recommend using a food processor as all for these.
- If you can’t find gluten free breadcrumbs, you can make your own with GF bread! Just double toast the bread and crumble into crumbs!
- You can also sub crushed tortilla chips for the breadcrumbs (as long as they are gluten free!)
- If you need to make without eggs, you can use flaxseed eggs. (Refer to this post on how to make them!)
- For a less spicy burger, omit the cayenne pepper.
- For a spicier burger, add in 1 seeded and chopped jalapeno!
My toddler is a big fan of seasoning and spices, so clearly she had no problem going to town on these burgers prepared as is!
These make 8 giant Gluten Free Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers, but please feel free to decrease patty size to yield 12 burgers if you want a smaller portion.
And, as always, serve as desired! These taste great on your bun of choice or bed of lettuce topped with avocado, tomato and onion!
Other recipes you may enjoy
If you like a good veggie burger, you’ll love these other vegetarian options too:
And, for my meat lovers, these are also a great choice:
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper 1 medium
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup corn 1 ear
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Saute the olive oil with the garlic, onion and red bell pepper on the stove. After onions become translucent, stir in the corn. Remove from heat.
- Add the black beans to a large bowl. Using a pastry blender (or avocado masher or back of a fork), coarsely mash the beans. Do not mash them in their entirety!
- Add the mashed sweet potato to the black beans and mix together. Add in the spices, and continue to mix.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, mix, then add the eggs. Ensure the mixture is evenly combined at this point before moving onto the next step.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form black bean mixture into 8 even patties (12 if you prefer smaller patties.) Place on the baking sheet and into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip, then bake remaining 10-12 minutes. Tops should be slightly crisp when done.
- Remove from oven and assemble into a burger on a GF bun or serve on top of a bed of mixed greens with all the toppings.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Happy Cooking, friends!