Looking to make homemade walnut pesto sauce with your garden fresh basil? Then this recipe is for you! Pair it with a veggie and protein filled wrap for a low-carb quick fix meal on the go.
I am not a fan of pine nuts! There, I said it.
They’re expensive and frankly I don’t love the taste.
I’ve seen a lot of people ask if you can make a pesto without pine nuts and I’m hear to tell you can, 100%.
I love walnuts!
They’re affordable, healthy, filled with omega-3s and so versatile in cooking!
Trust me, you won’t regret making this Walnut Pesto Sauce!
What does this taste like?
Creamy, rich heaven! Okay, maybe that’s a little bit much, but if you’re new to pesto, then get ready to take those taste buds on a flavor journey!
Pesto can have many flavors depending on the ingredients you use to make it, but the pesto you’ll experience when you make this Walnut Pesto recipe below is unlike any other.
Clearly you can see my daughter was a BIG fan!
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
(1) Place all ingredients into the blender or food processor.
(2) Pulse until smooth, wiping down the sides of the blender as needed.
You can make this recipe vegan!
- While this recipe uses parmesan to add a little deeper flavor, you can easily omit the cheese and this recipe will be vegan as well!
You can freeze this!
- To store this walnut pesto in the freezer, portion into ice cube trays and freeze in a ziplock bag if you’d like to have a small serving ready to pop out every now and then.
- Or, if you prefer to store in larger batches, use your traditional storage containers!
What other recipes can I make with pesto?
We have been loving these simple walnut pesto wraps with some pulled chicken, but seriously the possibilities are endless with this sauce!
Walnut Pesto Sauce
- Food processor, blender
- 1 1/4 cups fresh basil
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese optional
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Serve on a wrap or as desired. Store in a sealable container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.