This fresh, vibrant cold pasta salad is the perfect addition to a picnic, backyard BBQ, or just for a meal one night! Filled with whole grains, heart-healthy avocados, and delicious cherry tomatoes, this Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad is a recipe you can feel good about feeding your entire family.
Living in Southern California, literally the heart of California Avocado country, I’m always looking for creative ways to use this green goddess in my recipes! While I love the 5 Snack Ideas I have using this fruit, this Avocado Pesto Pasta recipe needed to happen.
I mean avocado and pasta, they just go hand in hand!
And, I promise, you’ll be glad it did too!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
For the Avocado Pesto
- If you are dairy-free, feel free to swap the Greek yogurt for your preferred dairy-free substitute.
For the Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad
- For a dairy-free diet, swap out the parmesan cheese with preferred dairy-free option. Nutritional yeast also adds a fun layer of flavor as a topping too (plus more vitamin B-12!)
- For a gluten-free option, use preferred gluten-free pasta of choice. We like a quinoa macaroni!
How to Make this Recipe
Simply start by blending all the ingredients for the Avocado Pesto Sauce in a high-powered blender or food processor.
Be sure to scrape down the sides with a spatula, then pulse one more time so an even consistency is achieved.
Once you have the pesto, combine with the cooked pasta, tomatoes, and cheese.
Viola, you’re done! Ready to dive in!
Other Salad Recipes You May Enjoy
If you liked this simple salad recipe, you will love these other Shaw Kitchen favorites too!
- Healthy Waldorf Salad with Chicken
- Roasted Broccoli Panzanella Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Red Rice Salad with Tahini Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients for avocado pesto into a thin, sauce like consistency.
- Combine vegetables, pasta (cooled), and the pesto sauce in a large bowl. Add in the tomatoes, spinach and red onion. Stir in the feta cheese at the end.
- Portion out and top with freshly roasted peanuts!
- Enjoy as a side or a main meal with a slice of fruit!