Buffalo Chicken Grain Bowl – The Best Thing to Hit Your Weekday Menu!
Welcome friends! How was your Fourth of July Weekend?
Mr. CEO and I were pretty mellow. Being the big Hawaii Spartan Race is coming up in a month, we both are on pretty strict training plans right now. Being I’ve made him my client for the last few months, I take what I feed him pretty seriously right now. I love seeing the results that great nutrition plays in his recovery!
While he went out on his 7 hour run Saturday morning, I took to the kitchen to whip up some tasty new delights! I promise I’ll share more on this soon!
However, I did manage to sneak away from my recipe creation to meet him for a HIT (high intensity interval) training workout during his “break” from the 6 mile repeats up Iron Mountain. It was actually really fun! 45 minutes later and a pretty sore bottom, I felt invincible!
So, back to the kitchen I went, sure to create the best meal ever for my Spartan Beast. He needed protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats… the whole shabang!
Enter, this Buffalo Chicken Grain Bowl!
Not only did it take me less than 10 minutes to whip this up, but it is packed full of nutrition! The shredded chicken can easily be taken from the leftover grilled chicken you had from your Fourth of July Cookout, or simply stop and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the market.
Add that shredded chicken to a small bowl with a little dab of buffalo hot sauce mixed with Greek yogurt, yummmmmmm!
Now, pile that chicken on a bed of mixed greens with a scoop of those whole grains you have saved from the potluck.
Or, take out that boil in a bag brown rice and season it with a little garlic and pepper. Layer the chicken and grains in a big bowl, topped with avocado (a great way to lower inflammation post workout), shredded cheddar cheese (calcium!!!) and cherry tomatoes (lycopene, baby). Garnish with a drizzle of that yogurt hot sauce.
There you have it, a DIY Buffalo Chicken Grain Bowl that is hands down delicious, nutritious and a killer recovery meal!
- 12 ounces shredded chicken cooked
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Buffalo hot sauce divided
- 4 ounces avocado mashed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole grains cooked
- 4 ounces romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Mix 1/4 cup yogurt and 1 teaspoon of hot sauce in a medium bowl. Add shredded chicken and mix until coated. Set aside.
- Mash avocado with garlic and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/4 cup yogurt with remaining 1/2 teaspoon Buffalo hot sauce.
- Take 4 serving dishes, layer each with equal portions of romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup brown rice, 3 oz shredded chicken, and 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado. Garnish with 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of yogurt glaze.
Many ancient grains work well in this recipe. I've tried couscous, bulgur and kamut. Keep it gluten free by using a gluten free grain, like brown rice or quinoa.