Craving that comfort classic dish you grew up on in childhood? Then this Instant Pot Sloppy Joes recipe is for you! Made in under 15 minutes in your Instant Pot, you’ll be shocked at how much time you’ll have to do all the other things on your list! Plus, this recipe is swapped with a special ingredient to boost the nutrition while lowering the traditional sugar found in your standard Joe!
Nothing quite says comfort food like a Sloppy Joe! These Instant Pot Sloppy Joes are a step above the rest thanks to the beauty (and time saving hack) of cooking them in the Instant Pot (or pressure cooker!)
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
Seriously this is the easiest recipe ever! One pot and done!
(1 + 2) Start by selecting the Saute function on the Instant Pot and sautéing the garlic and meat in olive oil until browned (about 5 minutes).
(3) Then, add the remaining ingredients into the pot, stir (ensuring there are no pieces stuck on the bottom) and secure the lid. Set the pot to Pressure Cook (Normal) and seal the Valve. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes.
(4) When cooking completes, do a Quick Release on the valve of the lid and remove the lid. Stir and serve warm!
This tastes great on seeded whole grain buns with pickled jalapeños and cabbage slaw!
I will warn you though, it gets a bit messy.
Like fall apart bun messy… but it’s SO worth it!
I’ve made some specific notes in the recipe below on swaps you can make based on what you have on hand! Be sure to check those out.
But, for making this recipe fool proof every time, keep this tips in mind!
- Do NOT burn the ground meat (whatever kind you choose to use) during the saute portion. To refrain from doing so, just be sure you are constantly using a spatula or stir stick to scrape the bottom of the pot while sautéing.
- You can use diced tomatoes if you don’t have crushed on hand. See modifications to ensure you still have enough liquid in the pot to pressure cook below.
- For a spicier kick, add 1 diced, seeded jalapeno into the ground meat mixture.
Other recipes you may enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy these other Instant Pot Shaw Kitchen favorites!
- Instant Pot Round Roast
- Instant Pot Brisket Nachos
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Chili
- Instant Pot Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup no salt added tomato paste
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsps low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Press Saute on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, garlic, and ground turkey and begin to brown for 5 minutes. Be sure to continue to scrape the bottom of the pot throughout this process so the turkey does not stick to the bottom. If it does, this will cause a BURN message later on.
- Once browned, press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir. Scrape the bottom of the pot one more time to ensure no ingredients stuck to the bottom.
- Secure the lid, set valve to Sealing, and press Pressure Cook (Normal) and Keep Warm (Off). Set the timer for 5 minutes.
- When cooking completes, use Quick Release on the valve and remove the lid.
- Stir and serve warm as desired. This pairs wonderfully with buns and shredded cabbage and pickled jalapeños!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Sub lean ground beef in place of turkey.
- Sub 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes for 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes. Add 1/2 cup of tomato paste and 1/3 cup additional more broth if so.
- Sub beef broth for vegetable broth, or make broth from bouillon cubes.
PS Don’t forget to snag your copy of my cookbook, The Instant Pot Cookbook For Dummies, on Amazon too!