Spice up your lunchtime salad with this healthy twist on coleslaw! This Vegan Coleslaw Recipe is perfect as a side with a delicious sandwich or grilled mushroom burger, or topped over your hot dogs! The possibilities are endless.
I love using the saying “eat the rainbow” with my clients and figured the best way to depict this was with a beautiful, vibrant coleslaw! We make this at least once a month to use on top of my Black Bean Burgers or as a base for any Buddha Bowl!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
Feel free to sub in another crunchy veggie of choice here too if you’d like!
Jicama makes a wonderful addition!
How to Make this Recipe
Step 1: Start by whisking the dressing ingredients, including the spices, in a large bowl.
Step 2: Then add in the cabbage, carrots, and apples!
Steps 3 + 4: Toss in the celery leaves, then mix one final time to ensure all veggies are coated with the dressing!
Then plate and serve with desired garnishes! We love sliced almonds and cilantro on top!
- This Vegan Coleslaw recipe develops a really rich flavor if you make it and leave it in the fridge for a few hours!
- If you are letting it sit in the fridge, do not add the crunchy nut or seed topping! They will get soggy.
What this Recipe Pairs Well With
Since this is a vegan coleslaw, I highly recommend considering adding it to these sandwiches and burgers for an elevated twist!
Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown mustard
- 2 tsps cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 head purple cabbage 1/4″ strips, washed and sliced thin
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 each Fuji apple thinly sliced
- 2 tbsps diced onion
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, and spices.
- Toss the thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, apple, and onion into the dressing.
- Add in the celery leaves, then use a spatula to make sure all veggies are evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate if possible for the flavor to develop further for at least an hour.
- Serve as desired with optional almond and cilantro garnishes!