Stir Fry Vegetables with Basmati Rice + Easy Ways to Reduce Food Waste
Did you know Earth Day is right around the corner?
Yep, a day devoted to celebrating our beautiful planet and embracing all the ways we, collectively as a group of humans, can help improve the health of our wonderful world.
Well, maybe that’s not exactly the definition, slightly modified to include my Lizisms, but nonetheless, it’s an important day!
I’m always a fan of figuring out creative ways to use up gently aged foods to see what unique combinations I can come up with.
Case and point, this sesame oil hemp seed Stir Fry Vegetables!
Truly, this is the best Shaw Kitchen creation that uses up those extra veggies from the party platter no one touched!
Did you know that Americans don’t eat enough vegetables?
Yep, so, definitely don’t toss them! Instead, consider these three #shawsimpleswaps to use them up!
- Stir Fry Vegetables with Rice, Quinoa or Pasta
- Saute in a bit of sesame oil and top with hemp seeds to add some protein!
- Add to Soup
- Serve as a Side to Chicken, Pork or Tofu
- Grilled meats taste fabulous on a bed of steamed veggies with a drizzle of Balsamic!
Stir Fry Vegetables with Basmati Rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetables any kind
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 6 tablespoons hemp seeds divided
- In a nonstick pan heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add in onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook another minute.
- Add in the vegetables and spices. Stir.
- Cover and set to low heat, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and place 3/4 cup of cooked rice in a bowl with 1/3 portion of the vegetables.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons hemp seeds.
- Add Sriracha to taste.