Feeling worn out but still have to get something on the table for dinner? Then this Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken is for you! It doubles wonderfully as leftovers and is perfect on a sandwich, salad, or soup!
Move over rotisserie chicken, this Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken is just as easy to make and lower in sodium than your store bought bird!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
If you aren’t keen on spice, omit the jalapeño and toss in 1/4 of an onion.
How to Make this Recipe
Step 1: Combine all ingredients in the inner metal pot of the Instant Pot and set to Slow Cook, low to normal heat, for 2 hours. If using a traditional slow cooker, just set the temp to low.
Step 2: When cooking completes, the internal temperature of the breasts should be 165 degrees F for food safety.
Step 3: Shred the chicken using two forks.
Step 4: Garnish with fresh herbs and serve as desired.
Or, just eat it with a fork straight from the bowl!
Here are some tips to make this slow cooker spicy chicken into a completed meal!
- Buy frozen veggies and rice.
- For those who really can’t swing the extra half hour on Sunday to chop ahead for the week, just pick up a few varieties of frozen veggies and have them on hand.
- A quick Buddha Bowl can easily be prepared in under 10 minutes with brown rice, a bag of southwestern vegetables blend and shredded chicken. Top with cheese and guacamole and you’ve got a winner!
- Pick up some cooked polenta.
- Ever seen the tube of the cornmeal concoction near the pasta at your local store? Well, it’s called polenta and it just so happens to be FANTASTIC in a bind.
- Since it’s precooked, slice, dice and top with a jar of Pico de Gallo and the rest of your chicken. The spicy flavor of the chicken and salsa pairs excellent with the neutral flavor of the polenta, creating a stellar meal in minutes.
Other Meal Prep Recipes You May Enjoy
- Instant Pot Round Roast
- Instant Pot Beef Brisket
- Homemade Turkey Enchiladas (sub with the chicken!)
- Southwestern Egg Frittatas
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth, low sodium preferred
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 each jalapeno sliced, seeded
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Press the SLOW COOK function on your Instant Pot and set the timer for 2 hours, with KEEP WARM turned on.
- Place the stock, jalapeno, bay leaf, garlic, pepper and salt in the broth, stir. Lay the chicken breasts on top. Secure the lid, set valve to sealing, and let the cooking start.
- When cooking completes (or internal temperature of the breasts reach 165 degrees F), you can leave the chicken in the metal pot until ready to serve on the KEEP WARM function.
- When ready to serve or store, remove chicken and shred with two forks.