It’s already Sunday and I’m beat! Oy vey, what a way to start one LONG week! Anyone else feel me? A million things to do and just not enough time? Well my friends, when the going gets tough, the tough get going, right?! Let’s join forces and commit to one thing together… meal planning.
You’re thinking this woman’s nuts, huh? How can I fit in meal planning on top of the laundry list of everything else that needs to be done? It’s possible, I promise. Two simple words, one fantastic machine … enter, the slow cooker.
The slow cooker is undoubtedly my long lost friend. Because it gets buried in the top cabinet that I can barely reach, it doesn’t see the love that it really deserves. I assured myself when I woke this morning that today was going to be different, I was determined to reunite with my slow cooker.
Thus, enter spicy chicken! I love using my slow cooker to build a protein base for multi-meals during the week. It’s so convenient and practically mess free. Since I am always up for something spicy, I decided on using boneless, skinless chicken with a plethora of spices as my base.
Viola! Now you’ve got your protein base. I couldn’t resist the delish smell, so for lunch I choose to throw some shredded chicken on top of a fresh chopped salad, dolloped with plain, non fat yogurt and spicy chipotle sauce… YUM!
- Take out your slow cooker.
- Hint: Even if you have no idea what you want to make, start with a simple base and you can always go from there. Bay leaves, garlic, onion and a little salt and pepper pair very well together and can go far with many proteins.
- Buy frozen veggies and rice.
- Hint: For those who really can’t swing the extra half hour on Sunday to chop ahead for the week, just pick up a few varieties of frozen veggies and have them on hand. A quick Santa Fe Bowl can easily be prepared in under 10 minutes with brown rice, a bag of southwestern vegetables blend and shredded chicken. Top with cheese and guacamole and you’ve got a winner!
- Pick up some cooked polenta.
- Ever seen the tube of the cornmeal concoction near the pasta at your local store? Well, it’s called polenta and it just so happens to be FANTASTIC in a bind. Since it’s precooked, slice, dice and top with a jar of Pico de Gallo and the rest of your chicken. The spicy flavor of the chicken and salsa pairs excellent with the neutral flavor of the polenta, creating a stellar meal in minutes.
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken
- 4-6 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp . garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of salt
- 1.5 pounds of boneless or protein of choice, skinless chicken breast
- Turn slow cooker on low as you combine all spices into the water. Place defrosted chicken in broth.
- Let cook for roughly 4-6 hours.