Mediterranean Pasta Salad – Vegetarian & Gluten Free
Disclosure: This post is not sponsored, however the video (yippee!) is part of a collaboration with Tomato Wellness. “Thanks for eating canned tomatoes”, says your body and the Shaw Kitchen :)!
Hello Mediterranean Diet month!
Did you know that I’m obsessed, like OBSESSED, with Mediterranean food.
But, Mr. CEO, he considers that “snack food” and needs more of a full meal to satisfy his appetite. So, I headed into the Shaw Kitchen to create something that would compliment our appetizer and serve as great leftovers for lunch during the week too.
Enter, this Mediterranean Pasta Salad!
Sometimes I like to use fancy words, so let me throw this out there.
Here’s my mise en plas, a French term meaning literally, “mess in place!” Truth be told, this term became engrained in my head during my dining days at UC San Diego, being surround by chefs day in and day out!
As you can see, it sounds fancy, but it’s really quite simple!
Check out this video I made below, really, I’m not kidding! It’s SO simple!
Using nutrient dense foods, like the star here, canned tomatoes, helps provide your body with amazing health benefits!
Did you know canned tomatoes are filled with lycopene?
Lycopene is a great antioxidant that helps keep your immunity strong and rid your body of those free radicals that cause harm.
Really, canned food can be a lifesaver to get you cooking.
So, join the fun and whip up this simple Mediterranean Pasta Salad for your next BBQ, picnic or heck, Wednesday night!
- 2 cups gluten free pasta
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- ½ medium cucumber, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional
- Boil water and add salt, cooking pasta according to package instructions.
- Remove and strain, adding olive oil to help coat and prevent sticking.
- Set pasta in fridge to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt, white wine vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Set in fridge until ready to assemble.
- When ready to assemble, strain partially strain canned tomatoes to release liquid, about ½ cup should be removed. Remove pasta from fridge and combine remaining tomatoes into the pasta bowl.
- Add in the cucumbers and garbanzo beans. Continue to stir together.
- Mix in the Greek yogurt dressing, feta cheese and stir, stir, stir!
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Looking for more ways to enjoy canned tomatoes?
Check out these delights in the Shaw Kitchen arsenal!