Looking for a healthy sweet treat to serve your entire family? Then this lower sugar Sweet Potato Chia Chocolate Breakfast Cake (or cupcakes!) are for you. Sweetened with sweet potatoes and filled with wholesome ingredients, you won’t regret adding this into your meal prep routine!
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
(1 + 2) Preheat oven and mix the wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
(3 + 4) Add the flours, baking agents, and salt to the wet ingredients. Whisk together.
(5 + 6) Fold in the chocolate chips and chia seeds.
(7) Fill either your 9-inch pie pan or 9 muffin liners evenly with the batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes for muffins or 28 minutes for the pie shape.
(8) Remove and let cool.
If desired, frost with a yogurt-powdered sugar glaze! Simply make this by whisking 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt with 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
It works well with the 9-inch pie shape….
and the muffins!
Let’s keep things simple (we need more simple right?!)
I did NOT notice a difference when I tried making this Sweet Potato Chia Chocolate Breakfast Cake first by mixing the flours and baking agents in their own bowl, then combining into the wet ingredients.
Read- let’s save ourselves a dish and make it in one bowl!
If you want to lower the sugar even further for these, here are a few swaps:
- Replace chocolate chips with cacao nibs.
- Omit brown sugar, and use 1/3 cup date syrup.
- For a maple flavor, add 1/4 cup pure monk fruit maple syrup in place of brown sugar.
If you’d like to make these gluten free, feel free to use oat flour (pulsed rolled oats) in place of the flours above.
Other recipes you may enjoy
If you like sweet potatoes, then I highly recommend trying a few of my other sweet treats using the spud below:
And if you’re more into the savory, check out these:
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes
- Gluten Free Black Bean Burgers with Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Chili
Sweet Potato Chia Chocolate Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsps chocolate chips
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Begin by mixing sweet potatoes, brown sugar, egg, oil, vanilla, and milk in a large bowl.
- Once combined, add in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Continue to mix.
- Fold in the chia seeds and chocolate chips.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners, or spray an 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Evenly distribute batter into muffin tins or pour directly into pan.
- Bake muffins for 22 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and wooden toothpick when inserted comes out clean. For the pie pan shape, bake for 28 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes to firm up, then cut and enjoy warm! Store in an airtight container on the counter for 4 days, in the fridge for 7, or freeze for up to 3 months!
Happy Cooking, friends!