Want a delicious, crispy French fry with a side of Spanish? Then these healthy baked Papas Fritas are for you! Made with just 4 ingredients and ready in under 40 minutes, they’re the perfect side to accompany your meals this week. Grab the full recipe and meal inspiration below!
So… this happened the other day…. Baked Papas Fritas!
My daughter is in a Spanish emersion preschool and she comes home saying the cutest phrases in both English and Spanish.
She has a strong affection for French fries so it was only a matter of time before I knew I’d hear the request for “papas fritas” come out of her mouth!
What you need to make this recipe
How to Make this Recipe
Seriously, it’s so easy!
Wash and scrub the outside of your potatoes with a small brush and water. I always keep a set “vegetable brush” on my counter to clean root veggies (and I highly recommend you do too!)
(1) Now, slice potatoes and soak in water for 30 minutes to lower acrylamide (more on that here.) Pat dry.
(2) Mix with olive oil and salt.
(3) Spray a baking sheet and place potatoes on top. Bake at 425 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
When baking completes, remove and sprinkle with any desired spices (I love dried dill!) Then, voila! Papas Fritas are ready to be dipped right into your favorite dipping sauce!
A few tips to make these your own!
- You can use whatever potato variety you have on hand! We love the purple sweet potatoes here because of they’re specific flavor and phytonutrient content in the skin!
- You can also use avocado oil or preferred cooking oil for coating before adding the salt.
- If you want a kicked up papas fritas, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and paprika with the salt.
I’m a loyal ketchup and ranch gal, but you can also serve these up with the following sauces:
What to Pair These With
I am a salad girl these days, so paired on top of a bed of greens with your protein of choice is very satisfying and a complete balanced meal.
But, these burger recipes also pair great with the fritas!
- 4 medium purple potatoes washed and cleaned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the outer skins of potato skins with running water.
- Slice potatoes into thin strips. and soak in a water bath for 30 minutes. Drain water and pat dry, place in a large bowl.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and salt.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (or use olive oil) and place potatoes on top of baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip, and bake another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and sprinkle dill on top! Serve warm with desired dipping sauce.