Grab a glass of milk and dive into these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars! This healthier version of your classic cookie is sure to be a family favorite in no time. Lightened up with applesauce, you won’t taste the difference. Pinky promise!
Do you ever have those days you just crave a cookie?
Well, don’t worry, you’re not alone! I do too!
These Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars are the perfect way to quickly satisfy that craving without having to make individual cookies! Great for a large gathering or a simple bake and freeze treat for later.
What you need to make this recipe
How to make this recipe
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour with baking soda, powder and salt.
(2) Using a hand-mixer, cream butter with cane and brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
(3) Mix in the egg and milk.
(4 + 5 + 6) Add the dry into the wet ingredients, then fold in the chocolate! Pour batter into baking dish and bake!
Let bars cool before slicing!
Then, slice into 16 bars and enjoy!
These are pretty hard to mess up! Seriously, mix and bake! That’s about it!
Here are a few important tips to keep in mind while making these:
- You can use a whole wheat flour if you can’t find white whole wheat, but I suggest using a 60 – 40 blend with all-purpose.
- A plant-based butter is what I like to bake with because it keeps the saturated fat down!
- I use a hand mixer to prepare these, but you can also use a stand mixer.
- For a fun twist, add in nuts! Chopped nuts are an excellent addition, like walnuts or pecans.
- If you want less dense bars, bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan over an 8 x 8-inch pan.
These are great with a cup of milk, warm cup of coffee or tea, or served a la mode with vanilla ice cream.
Be careful, you may not be able to resist just one!
Other recipes you may enjoy
If you liked these, you will love these too!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, and vanilla together.
- Pour batter into an 8 x 8-inch nonstick pan lined with parchment paper and lightly sprayed with cooking spray for thick bars. For thinner bars, use a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm!
- Bars will stay fresh in an airtight container on the counter for 5 days, in the fridge for 10, or in the freezer for 3 months.