Need a sweet treat to bring over to a party? These Hot Chocolate Cake Bars are just for you then! Whether it’s December or June, there’s no rules, meaning you can make then rain or shine. This recipe is gluten free too so all of your friends can enjoy it as well. Happy baking!
When did hot chocolate desserts become a thing?
I’m not sure the exact date, but I’m certain that I love that this trend happened.
Not only is hot chocolate a rather nostalgic way to warm up in the cold winter months, but the trend has become so popular that many establishments have jumped on the bandwagon to create refreshing warm weather treats as well.
Think Hot Cocoa Shakes (just like this S’mores Milkshake here!)
These Hot Chocolate Cake Bars though are unlike the others you’ll find online.
Let me explain a bit.
These Hot Chocolate Cake Bars are gluten free.
No, you don’t have to omit gluten if you aren’t sensitive or allergic to it.
But, there are plenty of people who are these days and for that reason alone I like to make sure in between my sugar cookie recipes (that are to die for by the way) I’ve got recipes for my gluten free friends as well.
I’ve used a pecan flour in this recipe though you can certainly substitute with another gluten free (or all-purpose flour if you aren’t avoiding gluten) as well.
Some of my favorites include:
Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose 1 to 1 Baking Blend
You can make substitutions too, and use a hot cocoa mix.
While I tried to make this a bit healthier by lowering the sugar (they are already very sweet), you can modify this recipe just in case you don’t have all the ingredients at home.
For instance, out of cocoa powder?
Don’t sweat it!
Simply use the hot cocoa mix you have on hand. Now, it does contain sugar, so you may want to start off with a 1/4 cup less sugar that the original recipe says.
This way you aren’t in a sugar coma after one bite!
You can also use a flaxseed egg (remember those brownies here) to make this recipe vegan.
You will also need to remember to purchase a vegan marshmallow too though!
Do they hold up as holiday gifts?
Simply put them in your holiday baking boxes to gift to your friends and family with a delicious note and the recipe attached.
I will add they also pair perfectly with the below in edible gift baskets:
Alright, enough chatting! Let’s eat!
Hot Chocolate Cake Bars with Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter *I use a light, plant based spread like Earth Balance
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup pecan flour or alternative gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar and beat together on speed 2 to 3 with the mixing attachment.
- Add in the vanilla and egg and continue to mix on speed 2 until combined. Stop mixer and add in the cocoa powder, pecan flour and baking soda. Mix again using speend 2 to 3.
- Once combined, pour batter into a greased, 8×8-inch oven safe baking dish. Sprinkle marshmallows over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before slicing. Store in the refridgerator for 10 days or on the counter for 7.