Looking for a way to use up some extra habaneros? You’ve come to the right place! This Habanero BBQ Sauce is easy to make, and better for you too! Filled with natural ingredients and no preservatives, it’s something you can feel good about serving your guests!
What You Need To Make this Recipe
- You can swap a few ingredients out below based on what you have on hand.
- For instance, use coconut aminos or soy sauce in place of Worcestershire sauce if you don’t have that for a slightly different flavor profile.
How to make Habanero BBQ Sauce
Step 1: Saute the oil with the garlic, onions, and peppers.
Step 2: Simmer all ingredients together (except the cornstarch.)
Step 3: Carefully puree the sauce.
Step 4: Then add in the cornstarch and pulse until smooth. This helps to thicken the sauce a tad.
When sauce is done, it still will be very hot! Be careful when you transfer to a container for storage.
Recipe Notes + Tips
Truth be told, this isn’t much different than how you’d make another delicious sauce (like my plum sauce here.)
- You want to start with building the flavor profile with those habaneros.
- While I’ve combined jalapeños as well, you can always opt to use only habanero peppers but fair warning, it will be VERY spicy then!
- Then, you need to think about the layers of flavor and texture. For instance, we use vinegars to create the tang you crave in a more Carolina style of sauce.
- If you want more of a smokey or honey flavor, that would be a sweeter sauce. The brown sugar and tomato sauce help provide a little neutralization to ensure you aren’t completely scorching your mouth, while also providing a little bit of that sweet flavor too.
Nonetheless, you can really modify BBQ sauce to create the flavor profile that most speaks to your palate!
What can I pair this sauce with?
Pretty much everything!
Okay, that may be stretching it (like we love these Gluten Free Brownies but please don’t pour sauce on them!)
This Habanero BBQ Sauce is a perfect summertime grilling staple, but also pairs perfectly with some of our Shaw Kitchen favorites below:
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Grilled Chicken
- Stuffed Cheeseburgers
- Mushroom Turkey Burgers
- Gluten Free Meatloaf
We also suggest trying it out as a sauce on your pizzas too! Here are Mr.CEOs favorites!
Habanero BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 each habaneros seeded, stems removed, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce no salt added
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsps yellow mustard
- 2 tbsps brown sugar loosely packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute the garlic, onions, and peppers in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn to low heat and mix in all the remaining ingredients except the cornstarch. Let simmer remaining 6 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Carefully remove sauce from heat and pour into a high powered blender. Pulse until smooth, then add in the cornstarch, and pulse remaining 30 seconds to a minute.
- Carefully transfer sauce to glass mason jars with a secure lid. Store in the refrigerator and use within 2 to 3 weeks for best quality.