Need a satisfying snack that the entire family can enjoy? Then these Healthy Applesauce Muffins are for you! Sweetened with fruit and spiced with cinnamon, these natural muffins need to be in your kitchen this week too!
Apple picking in 90 degrees weather in Southern California is not typically how I picture apple picking, but nonetheless we make the hour drive every year and enjoy every second!
If you’re in the San Diego area, I highly recommend making a trip out to Julian to enjoy the family friendly activity (COVID compliant too!) of apple picking!
For just $20, you can take home nearly 5 pounds of apples and lots and lots of memories!
The best part, you get to make these delicious Healthy Applesauce Muffins!
What you Need to Make this Recipe
How to make this recipe
(1 + 2) Combine all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
(3) Mix the wet ingredients into a larger bowl.
(4) Because the date syrup is dark, the batter will look dark!
(5) Stir the dry ingredients into the wet.
(6) Fold in the chopped and diced apples.
(7) Portion into 12 muffin tin liners.
(8) Top each with a thin slice apple cutout (if desired!) Place into the oven to bake.
(9) Remove and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Then, viola! Homemade Healthy Applesauce Muffins are yours to enjoy!
Trust me, there are very few things you can do to mess up this recipe! It’s literally the easiest thing to make. Here’s a few tips to ensure you get the golden delicious muffin you want, every time!
- You can sub in a gluten-free flour like almond or coconut if you want to make this gluten-free.
- Use the quick cooking, rolled oats. This creates a more uniform texture that kids will be sure to enjoy too!
- If you don’t have date syrup, you sub in sugar, or maple syrup. Note, this will not be added sugar free.
- Apples vary in sweetness! Choose a variety like Gala or Fuji with a little more sweet than tartness to keep the flavor of this recipe.
Serve this Recipe With
If you want to make this a full breakfast meal, I highly recommend pairing this with a cup of Pumpkin Spice Yogurt!
Coffee for the adults (or tea) is also a delicious choice!
Other Recipe You May Enjoy
These are some of the other fan favorite muffin recipes from the Shaw Kitchen!
Healthy Applesauce Muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats quick cook
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup date syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 small Jonathan apples finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl.
- To a larger bowl, combine the date syrup, applesauce, vanilla, milk, oil, and egg. Whisk together.
- Slowly fold the dry into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chopped apples.
- Fill a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Portion batter evenly into muffin liners. Top each muffin with an apple cut out if desired for garnish. I use my daughters mini veggie cutters for this!
- Bake muffins for 28 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.