Once you bite into these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins I promise you’ll never want to buy a coffee shop muffin again! Made with simple, wholesome ingredients these are the type of muffin you’ll come back to time and time again. Enjoy!
I’m a fan of muffins. There’s a bit of nostalgia I have with them and it stems from those GIANT Costco muffins my mom used to buy as a kid.
As much as I loved them, I don’t love how they make me feel a hour or two later (read sugar crash!)
These Healthy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins are the answer to my childhood dreams but meet my adult health standards lol!
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
What you need to make this recipe
How to Make this Recipe
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Start by whisking your flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
(2 + 3) Whisk the egg in large bowl, then stir in the yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, sugar, and milk.
(4 + 5 + 6) Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
(7 + 8) Stir in the chocolate pieces until uniformly mixed.
(9) Line a muffin tin with muffin liners then evenly fill them with the batter. Place in the oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes (tops should be golden brown.)
When muffins are done baking, if desired, melt additional chocolate and drizzle over the top!
These recipes can be swapped with a few ingredients to meet the dietary needs of those in your house!
- Swap gluten-free flour (like a one to one baking blend) in place of the white whole wheat flour.
- Use a plant-based yogurt and milk with dairy-free chocolate chips to keep them dairy-free.
To switch these up, feel free to try these options:
- Cinnamon Raisin
- Add 2 tsp ground cinnamon to the flour, and swap 1/3 cup raisins for the chocolate.
- Pumpkin Spice
- Stir in 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the flour, then swap pumpkin puree for the applesauce.
Serve these with a cup of coffee for the perfect morning pick me up!
Other Recipes You May Like
If you liked this recipe, you may also enjoy:
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- To a large bowl, whisk the egg. Mix in the sugar, milk, Greek yogurt, applesauce and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring until all is well combined.
- Add in the chocolate pieces.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 liners and portion batter evenly amongst them. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove and let cool slightly before eating.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days on the counter, 10 days in the fridge, or 3 months in the freezer for best quality.