If you’ve been on the hunt for a delicious low-carb casserole that fits the bill in flavor and nutrition, then you’ve landed in the right place. This Creamy Sausage Casserole with Tomatoes is packed with veggies and filled with protein to leave you feeling satisfied and satiated. Make it your own by pairing this with a salad, veggie pasta, or classic spaghetti and toasted bread… your choice!
Have you seen the viral TikTok pasta trend? If you haven’t, definitely take a moment and do a quick Google search of it. It’s amazing to see how such simple ingredients tossed together went viral overnight!
Nonetheless, it definitely caught my attention. After trying a few different versions and sharing then with my Instagram following, I knew this was the winner I had to share here with you too.
I will admit, I’m not a HUGE pasta fan. I much prefer the veggies, creamy sauce, and protein to the noodle. And… I LOVE bread and would much rather get my carbs in by dipping my crusty slice into a casserole!
But don’t worry, whatever your preference is (low carb or high carb) you can make this your own by adding a pile of pasta into your bowl before serving up this Creamy Sausage Casserole with Tomatoes!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
Here are some ingredient swaps that may come in handy for you!
- Swap any precooked sausage links in this recipe. Pork, beef, and turkey also work well.
- Chopped kale (stems removed) can be swapped for spinach.
- Cream cheese can be swapped for a dairy free version (note the cheese may cook a tad differently though depending on what it’s made from.)
- Feel free to volumize with more veggies. Chopped peppers work wonderfully in here too.
How to Make this Recipe
Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
Step 1: Drizzle 1 tbsp of the olive oil over the bottom of a large casserole dish, then toss the onions, garlic, tomatoes, and sausages together. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top.
Step 2: Create a well in the center, add the cream cheese, the drizzle remaining olive oil on top.
Step 3: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
Step 4: Remove from oven and mix in the spinach so the cream cheese and spinach combines with the tomatoes and sausage.
Step 5: Let sit 5 minutes, then serve warm!
This recipe is naturally lower in carb. However, if you are looking to make this a little higher in carb, feel free to:
- Serve with crusty bread.
- Or pair with a whole grain pasta!
Other Casserole Style Recipes You May Enjoy
Creamy Sausage Casserole with Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 each chicken sausages thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 ounce light cream cheese
- 4 cups spinach
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To a large casserole or baking dish (about 9 x13-inch), drizzle 1 tbsp of the olive oil on the bottom. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and chicken sausage, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top and mix it all together. Create a well in the center and place the cream cheese in it.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil on top and place in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. When top of the cream cheese is lightly browned and tomatoes have blistered, remove from oven and add the spinach. Mix the spinach and cream cheese into the other ingredients until uniformly combined. Let sit 5 minutes to allow spinach to wilt.
- Serve warm over pasta, with sliced bread, or a side salad for a lower carb option. Add salt/pepper to taste.