Craving a lasagna but can’t handle dairy? I’ve got you covered. This dairy free lasagna recipe is filled with all the hearty staples you’ll find in traditional lasagnas without the dairy. This also doesn’t use a fake, vegan cheese. Pinky promise, you won’t miss it when you taste the delicious pesto in here!
Why You Need This Non Dairy Lasagna
Let me start by saying we are NOT a dairy free household.
However, because we go through SO MUCH cheese, we often find ourselves without it in between market runs. Thus, this Dairy Free Lasagna was born!
But, in all seriousness, I have a lot of clients who express digestive concerns when it comes to the dairy department, so I wanted to make sure there was an option they too could enjoy!
This Dairy Free Lasagna Recipe will please both the dairy and dairy free parties, guaranteed!
What you need to make Lactose Free Lasagna
Ingredient Swaps + Substitutions
Here are a few swaps that have been tested and work out well!
Crushed tomatoes: feel free to swap in a jarred marinara sauce here or your favorite pasta sauce. Be sure to use the same amount so you’re lasagna isn’t too dry.
Pork: swap in your preferred meat of choice. Lean ground turkey and ground beef work well here.
Mushrooms: not a mushroom fan? No problem. Consider adding in your favorite, finely chopped veggie of choice. My daughter loves broccoli in hers too!
How to Make It
(1 + 2) Saute onion, mushrooms and garlic with pork until browned.
(3) Add crushed tomatoes to the bottom of an 8×8-inch pan.
(4 + 5) Evenly spread the sauce out, then place lasagna noodles over the top.
(6) Zucchini strips should be laid on top of the lasagna noodles.
(7) Spread pesto sauce evenly on top of the zucchini noodles.
(8 + 9) Top with a layer of seasoned ground pork and mushrooms, then more crushed tomatoes.
(10 + 11) Place zucchini strips on top, then cover with pesto.
(12) Add remaining ground pork and mushroom mixture on top.
(13 + 14) Finish assembly by topping with remaining lasagna noodles and crushed tomatoes. Place in the oven and bake.
(15) Top with chopped basil when it comes out of the oven and let cool 15 minutes before slicing.
Viola! The lasagna is now done and ready to slice and enjoy!
Recipe Notes + Expert Tips
Here are my pro tips on making this recipe:
- Use oven ready lasagna noodles (it’ll save you time in the kitchen.)
- If you can’t find them, just boil/prepare the lasagna noodles you have according to the box directions and continue to follow the recipe steps above.
- Make your own Spinach and Walnut Pesto (minus parmesan) to boost the fiber and veggie content of the dish!
- Use a no added sugar or sodium marinara sauce in place of crushed tomatoes.
- I just like the flavor and texture of them mixed with Italian seasoning!
- Add in nutritional yeast if you do want a little cheesy flavor.
- This is a vegan, vitamin B12 source as well (but this recipe isn’t vegan!)
- To make without pork, you can substitute ground beef, turkey or chicken.
FAQs on Cheese Free Lasagna
Yes, you can absolutely. Feel free to sprinkle it over the pesto sauce layer and again on top. If you would like a cheesy taste without using a vegan cheese though, consider adding nutritional yeast.
Here’s the deal: gluten-free products, including noodles, vary widely in what ingredients are used to make them. Often times with noodles I’ve found they require more liquid (aka sauce) than their wheat noodle counterparts. To adjust for this, add in an extra 1/2 cup or more of sauce. Please note though I have not tried it with this, but have had followers with success following this route.
What to serve this Dairy-Free Lasagna Recipe with
Hands down, this beauty can stand alone because it’s loaded with veggies, whole grains, and lean protein!
But, if you’re looking for a nice pairing, I highly suggested a loaf of fresh French bread or a mixed garden salad with my Vegan Green Goddess Dressing. I also recommend a nice glass of wine or bubbly, too!
And of course, don’t forget the No Added Sugar Chocolate Pudding for dessert!
Other dairy free recipes you may enjoy
If you liked this recipe, then you will probably like these too!
Dairy Free Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound ground pork Italian seasoned
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes no added sodium
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 5 each oven ready lasagna noodles whole grain
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped basil fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, add the oil and saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the ground pork and brown for 5 minutes. Turn off and set aside.
- Mix the Italian seasoning into the crushed tomatoes, then begin assembling the lasagna.
- To an 8×8-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray, add 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes to the bottom. Break lasagna noodles so you can easily place over the top of the tomatoes to line the pan. Place zucchini strips over the top of the noodles.
- Add 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of the noodles, top with crushed tomatoes. Layer sliced zucchini strips over the top, then pesto, then remaining ground pork.
- Top with lasagna noodles and remaining crushed tomatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then remove and let cool 15 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy.
- Lasagna will keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Use a marinara sauce in place of crushed tomatoes.
- Swap ground turkey or beef for pork.