Looking for a comforting classic that hits all the right spots but doesn’t leave you feeling bloated?! Then this lightened up Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is for you! Simple swapped with a can of heart-healthy cheddar cheese soup and veggies, this family favorite is one you’ll feel good about serving your entire crew!
The average cheeseburger tater tot casserole comes in at 440 calories and 31 grams of fat per serving. This lightened up version is just 230 calories and only 9 grams of fat.
What You Need to Make this Recipe
How to Make this Recipe
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
(1 + 2) Brown the ground beef, mushrooms, and onion in a skillet.
(3 +4) Stir in the mustard, drained diced tomatoes, and black pepper.
(5) Remove from stove and carefully layer the cheddar cheese soup on top.
(6) Arrange tater tots evenly over the top of the soup.
(7) Cover with shredded cheese, then place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
(8) Remove and garnish with pickles and onion.
Relish in the beauty of this home cooked skillet of goodness!
And feel free to serve on a bed of lettuce to get those greens in! It’s like an open faced cheeseburger…
with French fries baked right in!
To make this recipe your own and use what you have on hand, here are some swaps to keep in mind:
- I recommend using an 85/15 ground beef, however you can also make this with a lean ground turkey.
- If you don’t have diced tomatoes, you can use ketchup. However, please note this will increase the sugar and sodium content on the nutrition. You can mix in 1/3 cup + 2 tbsps of ketchup to the ground beef mixture.
- You can find the cheddar cheese heart-healthy soup in the soup aisle at your local market. I use Campbell’s Healthy Request line.
- If you don’t have cheddar cheese soup, you can make your own roux with 1 cup of skim milk, 1-2 tbsps flour, 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and salt/pepper in a stove-top pan. However, this too will adjust the nutrition slightly.
- Frozen tater tots work wonders in here! But, you can also swap for frozen French fries if that’s what you have!
This recipe is naturally gluten-free. To make dairy free, you will need to use dairy free cheese like products.
And of course, we can’t forget the garnishes! Here’s what my family recommends:
- Dill pickles, chopped
- Red onion, chopped
- Butter leaf lettuce
- Primal Kitchen Foods Ketchup (no added sugar!)
Other Family Favorite Recipes You May Enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will love these other Shaw Kitchen favorites too!
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes no added salt, drained
- 2 tbsps yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 10.75 oz canned cheese soup heart-healthy variety
- 20 each tater tots
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 each pickles finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef with the mushrooms and onion in a cast-iron skillet. Stir in the drained diced tomatoes, mustard and black pepper once browned. Remove from heat.
- Carefully layer the cheddar cheese soup over the top of the beef and mushroom mixture. Position the tater tots on top, evenly spaced out. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese over the top and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm with diced pickles, onions, ketchup and a side salad.
- Leftovers will keep best for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Happy Cooking, friends!