Looking for a delicious, simple and lightened up seasonal classic to enjoy this year? Then this Butterscotch Cheesecake is for you! Lightened up with light cream cheese and Greek yogurt, your guests will never tell the difference. Swap in a walnut (or pecan) crust and you’ve got yourself a gluten-free treat too! The possibilities are endless with this Butterscotch Cheesecake.
Tired of the traditional holiday treats? Then this is for you! Enjoy this Butterscotch Cheesecake Pie all year long!
What You Need to Make this Recipe
How to Make this Recipe
Start with finding the right pie crust for you! If you buy a refrigerated dough, be sure to following baking instructions prior to assembling pie below.
(1) Begin by beating the cream cheese and yogurt together with a hand mixer.
(2) Then, stir in the pudding mix, xanthan gum, and milk.
(3) Once combined, it should look like this.
(4) Melt the white chocolate, then mix straight into the pudding mixture.
(5 + 6) Have pie crust ready, then pour the batter into the pie crust. Set in the refrigerator for at least one hour to firm up.
Viola! Pull out and serve with desired whipped topping of choice!
As you can tell, we’re big whipped cream and chocolate shaving fans over here!
Here are a few tips and swaps to keep in mind to make this Butterscotch Cheesecake Pie your own!
- Pie Crusts:
- Consider a nut based crust, like the pre-made walnut or pecan if you want to boost nutrition a bit more! Plus, they’re naturally gluten free too!
- Use a graham cracker crust if you prefer more of a traditional cheesecake base.
- Or, use the traditional flour and butter pie crust if you crave that bakery pie!
- Depending on your preference, you can swap in a soy or nut based milk for the skim milk used here. Note, this may adjust the final consistency, so trial this out before actually preparing this for your guests! I’ve found almond milks tend to not hold the pudding texture as well.
- White Chocolate:
- You can skip this for a more tart taste, or swap in 1/4 cup of powdered sugar if you don’t have the chocolate on hand.
- Xanthan Gum:
- You can pick this up at most markets in the speciality section. It’s a food additive that helps maintain the consistency you will want so you can slice into this without it creating a giant pudding pool!
Can I modify this Recipe for another pudding flavor?
Yes, you can! Simply substitute the pudding mix for the flavor of your preference!
I recently modified this with a chocolate pudding and it turned out great!
Can I make this recipe in a muffin tin?
Yes, you can!
My recommendation if you got this route is to use the homemade walnut (or alternative nut) crust. You can make this by pulsing walnuts in your food processor then mixing with a date paste or date syrup (or alternative binder.)
Here’s a quick video showing how easy it is to make this recipe using the individual portion cups route.
Seriously, simply follow the pie recipe and portion the pie filling into the individual muffin liners, refrigerate, then serve!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
If you liked this simple style of dessert recipe, you may enjoy these others as well:
- Sweet Hummus Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- Cinnamon Apple Crisp
Or, take a look at my top 20 low sugar desserts here! I promise you will find something to enjoy!
- 1 pie crust
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 6 oz vanilla 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 package butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Bake or assemble pie crust according to package instructions.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese and yogurt. Add in the butterscotch pudding mix, xanthan gum, and milk. Beat until uniformly combined.
- Heat the white chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Stir the melted white chocolate into the pudding mixture.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the pie crust. Cover and let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour before slicing.
- Serve cool with whipped topping. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for best quality.