Train like a beast with these Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars!
Alright, it’s time I lay the hard facts down for you being it’s Wind Down Wednesday. I rarely follow a recipe when making Mr. CEO’s weekly Spartan protein snacks. I literally walk into the kitchen, open my cabinets and see what I have on hand. Some may call me a dare devil, I prefer a confident Simple Swapper!
I promise you, Mr. CEO has yet to complain about this method, or at least not to my face! He will surely let me know when one week’s creation stands out more than the rest, but so far I’ve yet to hear the bar, bites or balls (whichever creation I come up with that week) is inedible.
Honestly, I attest my success rate to the the little Lizism formula I’ve created. It goes something like this:
2 parts whole grains
Option for oats, cereal, whole wheat flour
1 part protein powder
Option for chocolate, vanilla or berry
1 part nut butter
Option for peanut butter, almond butter, or alternative nut butter
1 part fruit puree
Option for bananas, applesauce, or dried fruit (dates and figs work well)
1 part fun textured food
Option for carob chips, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, etc.
My Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars are filled with heart healthy fats from peanuts. Studies have shown that the nutrients found in peanuts not only are a great source of antioxidants, but also flavonoids. Flavonoids are very helpful in reducing inflammation, something I am definitely in favor of getting into Mr. CEO’s diet when he returns from his 4 hour training runs. (Sigh- I get tired just thinking about it!)
Alright, now that you know my secrets, I finally got around to writing down my recipe this past weekend. Thank goodness, I know!
Without further adieu, here are they are!
Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Fuel your workout with these deliciously simple protein bars! A little sweet, a little salty and a whole lotta goodness!
- 2 1/2 cups high fiber cereal
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup roasted (unsalted peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- *2 teaspoons sugar of choice (optional)
- In a food processor, combine cereal, protein powder, powered peanut butter, melted peanut butter and applesauce. Pulse 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be coarse and slightly sticky to touch.
- Add in the whole peanuts and pulse 3-5 more times (you want the peanuts to be chopped, but not pureed).
- Place raw mixture in a small baking dish (6″x4″) lined with parchment paper. Put in the freezer for up to 30 minutes to harden.
- Remove and slice into 16 bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 10 days, or freeze in a ziplock bag for up to 1 month. Defrost for 60 minutes on the counter before eating.
What’s your favorite go to protein bar recipe?!