Creamy Parmesan Polenta with Balsamic Mushrooms
When was the last time you went out of your comfort zone and made something totally new?
It’s been a while for me in all honesty.
But, something struck me last week and I realized I had never in my life actually made polenta!
How could that be?
I’m Italian (polenta actually originated in Northern Italy!), love a good carb and have enjoyed everything polenta I’ve ever had (like those Dukkah Polenta Fries I whipped up here!)
I knew I had to change this, stat. So with a mission in mind I headed up to the nearest market here in Switzerland and bought myself my first bag of polenta (aka finely ground yellow corn).
While polenta is actually a dish, the main ingredient (aka only ingredient in most) is finely ground yellow corn. It’s texture to me is like a mix between grits and oats, but the flavor is 100% corn.
Since we’ve been out here, Mr. CEO has finally developed a taste for mushrooms (winning!!!) so it felt only right to pick up a container of white button mushrooms to pair with this Creamy Parmesan Polenta!
As you can see… it was wealth worth the purchase!
I’m not kidding when I say that I found polenta to be the easiest thing I’ve ever made.
While I got fancy and sautéed my mushrooms in balsamic vinegar with a little fresh garlic until reduced down, you can easily pair this with whatever veggie you like. And, for a complete meal, top it with an egg!
Now, what are you waiting for! Dive in!
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- chopped parsley, optional garnish
- Over high heat, combine milk and vegetable broth in a medium stovetop pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and whisk in polenta, ¼ cup at a time, until combined.
- Continue to stir with a wooden spoon for 5 to 10 minutes until all liquid has been absorbed. If it becomes to thick to stir, add in ¼ cup of vegetable broth as needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- To prepare mushrooms, add oil to a medium non-stick skillet.
- Saute garlic over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add in mushrooms and balsamic vinegar, stir, and set to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once a majority of the balsamic vinegar has been reduced and mushrooms are tender, remove from heat.
- Portion ⅙ of creamy polenta into a bowl and top with sautéed mushrooms.
What’s one recipe you have never made but enjoy eating?!