Looking for a healthier spinach dip to serve up for your friends (or heck, yourself?!) Then this Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip is just for you! High in protein and bold in flavor, this low calorie option will surely please the toughest critic!
Just a girl, a mission and cottage cheese in hand. That’s pretty much how this Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip came to life!
Well, and the fact I love a good game day app that isn’t 1000 calories per serving!
Healthy, high protein and gluten-free, this Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip marks all the boxes in flavor, texture and nutrition!
What You Need to make this Recipe
How to Make this Recipe
(1) Saute the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat.
(2) Add in the spinach, and saute until wilted.
(3) Stir in the salt, pepper, and cream cheese. Mix until melted.
(4) Cream cheese should all be melted like this before moving on to next step.
(5 + 6) Stir in the cottage cheese, chestnuts, and remaining spices. Heat 2 to 3 minutes.
(7 + 8 +9) Add shredded cheese, and heat until combined. You can also place under broil setting in the oven if preferred.
Then, viola! This Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip is ready to be served (warm of course!)
This recipe is pretty straightforward! Here are a few tips to make it that much easier to make:
- Don’t use fresh celery! The celery seed spice has a deeper flavor that really gives a nice touch to this dip.
- You can use fresh dill if preferred. Use 1 tbsp fresh to 1 tsp dried.
- I like 2% fat cottage cheese in this over non-fat, it gives a bit more flavor.
- Light cream cheese (or even Greek yogurt cream cheese) has fewer calories for the same bold flavor. Use either.
- Fresh spinach is preferred, but you can use frozen. Just be sure to drain the water first by heating in the microwave.
There are a few swaps you can make as well depending on your dip texture and taste preference!
- Blend the cottage cheese with the dill and celery seed before adding to the skillet. This will prevent the curds.
- Add in 2 tbsps of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to get a bit more of that tangy taste common with store bought dips.
What to Serve this With
I highly recommend a torn sourdough bread, tortilla chips, and fresh veggies!
Other Recipes You May Like
If you like cottage cheese, then you will love these other Shaw Kitchen favorites that use the protein packed goodness!
Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces water chestnuts diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried celery seed
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Saute the oil, onion, and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the spinach, pepper, and salt. Mix until spinach is wilted, then stir in the cream cheese until it melts (about 3 minutes).
- Add the cottage cheese, water chestnuts, and remaining spices. Continue to mix over low heat. Top with shredded cheese, then heat until melted.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
- Dip will stay fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or over the stove for best flavor.