A fun twist on your classic BLT in salad form! This BLT Whole Grain Salad is a welcomed addition to your salad game this season!
Is your mouth watering? Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Mr. CEO was begging for this BLT Whole Grain Salad after I whipped it up too!
While you can insert any whole grain in this recipe, I chose to use a whole grain called grano.
Now, for those wondering what the heck grano is! Here you go!
- Grano (Italian for wheat) is basically durum wheat (the stuff used to make pasta).
- It’s a whole grain (aka, you can swap this for white rice or orzo pasta).
- It resembles barley in taste and color (it has a brownish hue).
- It’s very chewy and delicious, try it!
- It’s hard to find at a traditional market, try a speciality store or shop online.
How to Make this Recipe
Start by sauteing the bacon and garlic.
Then add in your tomatoes and green of choice (like baby kale!)
Then stir in those grains and let them cook with the other flavors!
You can literally swap in any whole grain to make this recipe!
Be sure to follow the cooking instructions on the package and then add to the salad.
With that said, you can also use a vegan bacon (like tempeh) in here too for those looking for a vegetarian option!
Other Recipes You May Like
If you liked this fun salad twist, you may also enjoy:
BLT Whole Grain Salad
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup grano dry
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 strips turkey bacon diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1- 14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium pot, boil water and add grano. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until grano becomes soft like rice.
- Remove and drain any excess water, set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped bacon and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until bacon is crisp.
- Add diced tomatoes and baby kale to pan, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sea salt and remove from heat.
- Serve hot or cold, your choice!
Nutrition Per Serving
Happy Cooking, friends!