Vegan Pumpkin Pie + Creative Vegan Recipes for Thanksgiving
Pumpkin madness has swept the Shaw Kitchen these past few weeks.
Mr. CEO is a BIG fan of anything pumpkin. Remember those Pumpkin Pie Spiced Nuts I made for him?
Suffice it to say, since this season is a little short in the grand scheme of the year, I tend to go a bit overboard when I see anything “pumpkin” flavored at the market.
Prime example – Food Should Taste Good Pumpkin Spice Tortilla Chips.
Well, let’s just say these were not the most treasured find this season.
I couldn’t toss them, I spent to much on them!
So off to the kitchen I went to create something magical that Mr. CEO would gobble up.
Enter– Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Pumpkin Spice Tortilla Chip Crust!
Yep, I turned those chips into a delicious, wholesome crust that was the perfect base for this Vegan Pumpkin Pie.
Now — why vegan?
Well, to be honest, I had extra flaxseed meal in my fridge so wanted to venture out on the edge and see if I could #shawsimpleswap a classic dish into something all dietary types could enjoy.
This tastes delicious topped with a dollop of coconut cream or a soy based ice cream if you’re vegan, or a delicious creamy vanilla bean full dairy ice cream for the traditionalists out there. Seriously, the possibilites are endless!
- 3 ounces pumpkin tortilla chips
- 1 cup roasted walnut halves unsalted
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1- 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coconut Whipped Topping
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a food processor, combine tortilla chips and walnuts and process until a smooth, flour like consistency is achieved (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add in the sugar, maple syrup and vegan butter and pulse until a coarse, crumb consistency is achieved (about 30 seconds). Set aside.
- In a 9-inch pie pan sprayed with cooking spray. press tortilla mixture into the base to create a crust.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until browned. Remove and let cool.
- In the same food processor (yes, saving you on dishes), combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup and brown sugar. Process 1 minute until combined.
- Add in the spices, almond milk, margarine, flaxseed meal and vanilla extract. Process another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into cooled pre-baked tortilla crust and bake until set, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Serve with cooled coconut whip topping and enjoy!
Need more inspiration? Check out these delicious vegan recipes too!
Kabocha Kale Salad via Sprint 2 the Table
Gluten Free Maple Apple Crisp via The Fit Cookie
Roasted Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, & Cranberries via Eat Real Live Well
Balsamic Brussels Sprouts via Family Food on the Table
Miso Roasted Brussel Sprouts via The Foodie Physician
Acorn Squash Stuffed with Pumpkin Seeds & Cherry Quinoa Pilaf via The Spicy RD
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta via Nutrition & Wellness
Fall Farro Salad via Citnutritionally
Pumpkin Pie Protein Bars via And a Dash of Cinnamon
Cranberry Orange Ginger Relish via Nutrition Starring You
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup via Nutritioulicious
Butternut Squash & Apple Soup via The Domestic Dietitian
Buckwheat Pilaf via Making Healthy Choices
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes via Hungry Hobby
Vegan Nut Loaf via Vine Ripe Nutrition