Who doesn’t love gooey cheese layered between hot tortillas that are topped with fresh pico?
Full disclosure ladies & gentlemen, again, before I get any further I must tell you by posting this recipe I am entering into a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. LLC. I am eligible to receive prizes associated with this contest but I was not compensated for my time. I did however fully enjoy this new #simpleswap creation, and here’s why!
Remember that Green Machine Hummus from the weekend? Well folks, get that leftover dip out because it’s about to unite perfectly with this recipe for a Spinach and Garlic Game Day Quesadilla.
I love recipes that don’t require a ton of prep. I especially love recipes that use items I already have on hand that can be made in minutes. Plus, these types of creations typically feed the masses because #realtalk, you never know who will show up when it’s #gameday, right?
This super simple Spinach and Garlic Game Day Quesadilla actually came together as a full meal for Mr.CEO after I invented the Green Machine Hummus. I had a lot of leftover dip and thought, what am I going to make him for dinner now that I’ve eaten my share of hummus!
I opened the fridge, saw a tortilla and some cheese and BINGO, this happened!
Spinach and Garlic Game Day Quesadilla
- Green Machine Hummus
- 5 oz Sabra Spinach & Artichoke Hummus
- 1-8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 1- 10 " Flour Tortilla (whole wheat, brown rice, etc. ok!)
- 3 tablespoons of Green Machine Hummus
- 1 oz reduced fat Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup Pico de Gallo
- 1 tablespoon Plain Greek Yogurt
- Fold tortilla in half. Place 1.5 tablespoons of the hummus on each side of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on one side of the hummus.
- Fold the other side of the tortilla over the cheese side.
- Heat a large flat non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place quesadilla on pan.
- Heat 3-4 minutes per side until desired crispiness is reached.
- Enjoy with a dollop of yogurt and fresh Pico on top!
Now, you can always amp up the nutrition on this by using a whole wheat tortilla, or even a brown rice tortilla to make it gluten free depending on your guests preferences. I decided to appease the masses (aka Mr. CEO) with this game day creation and use the staple all natural flour tortilla I picked up from Costco. But, I did rest easy knowing the #twospoons of hummus I had layered in between was helping him fulfill his daily recommendation for beans. It’s a great idea to use hummus as a spread like this because it helps provide more essential nutrients while also packing a ton of flavor.
Be sure to check out the other great recipe creations below and see how you can add #twospoons of hummus into your daily routine!