Life Lessons I Learned From Blogging – The 4 Year Anniversary of Simple Swaps
I can’t believe it’s been 4 years now since I started this little space here on the web.
Times have definitely changed (and so has this blog), but one things for certain:
my passion for nutrition, health and providing you with sound information is ever present.
When I first began sharing my thoughts and recipes here with you, I was still struggling internally with my own food rules.
While I wasn’t struggling with an eating disorder, I would definitely say I was so focused on the notion I had learned early on in my education that calories were king and that was that.
I cringe looking back to the first year of blogging when I used sucralose in my recipes. While I’m not hating on you by any means if that’s something you prefer, I just know in my heart it wasn’t because it tasted better or was better for me that I used it.
It was merely the lowest calorie option.
Flash forward 4 years to today, where you’ll find me using a blend of real sugar, stevia (a natural sweetener), and fruit and veggie purees to help sweetened up those treats.
And, spoiler alert, if you’re wondering if sugar, honey, or maple syrup are “better for you”, they’re all metabolized the same! So, take your pick.
With a new year on us, I wanted to share the most important life lessons I’ve learned in these last 4 years of blogging.
- Be yourself.
- It’s easy to get lost in the crowd, especially considering it seems like everyone and their dog has a blog now. But, you have a unique voice (and there’s only one Mr. CEO!) Find your voice, stick to it, and let your knowledge shine forth.
- Comparison is the thief of joy.
- Does it seems like everyone else has something amazing happening in their space? A new gig? That partnership you’ve wanted since who knows how long? Comparing your progress to others won’t get you far. Instead, focus on the strides you’ve made (hello photo A from 2014 to photo B from 1017) and use that as your leverage to set your goals for the year.
- Follow your passion.
- I’m not diligent on meal planning (though I wish I was), I’m not a great stick to a schedule sort of eater, and I certainly snack more than I should. But, that’s me, perfectly imperfect me. So, while I can’t promise you a meal plan Monday starting up, I can promise you I will continue to show you how you can make simple swaps in your daily patterns to improve your health and enjoy delicious food that fuels your body, mind and soul.
- Dream big. And remember, stats aren’t everything. Know your worth.
- When I first set out blogging, I dreamed of working with a select client to help show you how their staple food can be simple swapped into delicious meals, snacks and desserts! I always thought I needed those big page views to make it happen. While I’d be lying if I said page views didn’t matter, there’s a lot to be said about your credibility and knowing your worth, too. I’m happy to announce in just a few short months you’ll see what I’m talking about!! Bottom line: dream big!
Whether you’re a fellow reader, a blogger or heck, just a friendly face trying to do the best you can at this thing called life, I hope these resonate with you too!
Cheers to a great 2018 and entering the next 365 days of Simple Swapping!