Donut lovers’ unite! 80 Calorie Donuts… have I died and gone to heaven?!!
I love a good donut as much as the next person. Cake I prefer, however I will usually sneak a bite or two of a yeast if that’s the only one left in the box (or as Mr. CEO calls it, “the critter” attacks).
Regardless, I’ve been yearning for a donut that I could eat everyday and not feel groggy and sluggish like I do after I’ve had one of those amazingly delicious 100 grams of sugar Chocolate Peanut Cake Donut from our local Peterson’s.
Enter, these Apple Pie Walnut Donuts with Vanilla Glaze. Luckily, one of the ingredients I had on hand but was saving for a special moment was some skyr yogurt I picked up. Knowing what a treat those Gluten Free Almond Poppyseed Bundt Cakes I whipped up last week were, I thought heck, this stuff is gold. I can sub this for nearly all the fat and part of the sugar in these donuts.
Skyr is an Icelandic yogurt that provides a stellar, creamy thick consistency with outstanding flavor that contains minimal sugar. Skyr (pronounced skeer) yogurt is becoming more common in the market now and you can usually find brands with natural sugar sources and real ingredients. Plus, it’s packed full of protein, making it a great addition in baked goods!
Using a vanilla skyr yogurt, I combined the bruised and beaten apple from Mr. CEOs lunch he didn’t eat (tisk tisk) and created this masterpiece. I usually don’t call my recipes masterpieces, but this was delicious!
One thing to note is the sifted white whole wheat flour in this recipe. 100% white whole wheat flour has a slightly higher gluten content than a typical pastry flour, but still worked great in this recipe. Personally, my hypothesis is because I sifted the flour it was so light and crumbly, but that’s just my two cents!
The awesome thing about this recipe is not only the stellar nutrition (less than 80 calories per donut) but also that it too freezes well! Whip these up the week before family arrives for the holiday and take them out the night before for breakfast in a flash. Plus, they pair wonderfully with a serving of siggi’s dairy on the side for a little extra protein.
Apple Cinnamon Donuts with Vanilla Glaze
- 1/4 packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar*
- 3 tablespoons light vegan margarine*
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup siggi's 0% vanilla yogurt divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple*
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, margarine, egg whites, siggi's vanilla yogurt, almond milk and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- On a sheet of wax paper, sift the white whole wheat flour. (Make sure to measure out flour first then sift).
- Combine sifted flour to the large bowl with other ingredients. Do not mix yet!
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
- Now, mix on medium speed with your electric mixer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped apples and walnuts, folding gently into batter with a spatula.
- Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into a large ziplock bag, cutting a small hole in the corner of the bag.
- Fill donut pan with batter.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat again for remaining batter.
- Once donuts have cooled, frost with a little dab of siggi's vanilla yogurt and remaining cinnamon.