The fastest way to get everyone around the table!
With summer coming to a close, it’s important we regroup and focus on the new season that is upon us. I don’t know about you, but I can remember as kid the one thing my sisters and I would ALWAYS run to the table for was pizza.
Well, if I’m being honest, I have to admit this still holds true! Mr. CEO and I will gladly pull up a chair and have dinner together if it involves bread, cheese and tomato sauce.
Though pizza is great, when Mr. CEO and I have it in its usual form, we seem to have a problem with portion control. It’s amazing how that entire 12″ pie can disappear before our eyes!
But, if I make mini pockets, we somehow are more mindful of the number we stuff into our mouths! Maybe it’s the rolling out of the dough, or the art of filling, I’m not quite sure, but it works for us!
Plus, when I whip up these pizza pockets, I can freeze some for lunches later in the week. Since Mr. CEO got his promotion, I seem to see more and more of his lunches coming back uneaten.
He says it’s because he has no time to eat the salads I pack him… excuses, excuses is what I hear! Me, being the loving wife that I am, said there’s no way you can run from 6AM to 6PM on those Wheaties you had at breakfast! Thus, these pulled pork pizza pockets are a win win for both of us.
I can rest easy knowing I’ve given him a fuel source that’s full of whole grains, lean protein and vegetables. Plus, its quick, easy and portable to have on the go.
I decided to whip these up using some lean pulled pork I had leftover in the freezer, but feel free to experiment with your own creations. I have to admit, I’ve made these a few times since and found that a tomatillo salsa with sharp cheddar cheese and black beans also make an excellent southwestern style pocket!
What meal makes you run towards the dinner table? #shawsimpleswaps and show me your food!
Pulled Pork Pizza Pockets
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 package Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz pulled pork cooked
- 2 oz spinach washed
- In a microwave safe mug, heat 1 cup of water for 35 seconds.
- Remove and pour into a medium bowl. Mix in yeast until dissolved completely.
- Combine flour into water mixture.
- Set aside and let rise in a warm area for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425*F towards the end of the dough rising.
- On a large board lightly floured, divide dough into 8 rounds.
- With a rolling pin, roll out each round into a circle.
- (You may need to add more flour each time to prevent the dough from sticking).
- Once the circle is formed, on half of the pocket place a spoonful of marinara sauce, 1.5 oz of pulled pork, 1 oz cheese and 1/4 oz washed spinach.
- Gently fold the other half of the pocket on top of the filling.
- Press lightly with a fork to seal together the pocket.
- Repeat 6-8 times depending on size of the pocket dough.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and place pockets in oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with a marinara sauce or house made ranch dip!