Picture this: It’s Monday, your standing in line waiting to order your skinny latte because by golly, you’re going to be better this week! Then, out of nowhere you find yourself asking for the Banana Chocolate Chip Pastry to go. Sound familiar?
Well, don’t worry, you’re not alone! Research shows that customers often make impulse decisions that are completely opposite from what they actually want due to environmental factors, such as product placement. It’s no wonder the candy lies near the register at the supermarket or the beautifully enticing pastry case is front and center as you place your latte order.
It’s inevitable, the smells of a coffee shop are going to be surrounded by the glorious aroma of baked goods. To resist the temptation, I suggest planning ahead before you find yourself polishing off the supposedly better for you Reduced Fat Muffin as you pull into work.
Here’s a quick and easy Simple-Swap original recipe to try if you have a few ripe bananas lying around. These are the perfect size to pop in your purse or throw in your briefcase as you head out the door. Plus, you can freeze them and pull them out in a hurry, without having to polish off all 10 in a few days (though I easily could!).
|#latergram (Sorry! Forgot to take a photo of the super ripe bananas, this is a fresh bunch for the week!)|
- 1 1/2 medium bananas, extra ripe
- 1 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate candies, chopped (I used sugar free dark chocolate caramel)
- Mash bananas. Gently mix in applesauce, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and almond milk.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add dry into wet, saving the chocolate to add in at the end.
- Portion into 10 muffin tins and bake at 375* for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Note (per muffin):
- Simple-Swap Dark Chocolate Banana Muffin:
- 100 calories, 2 gms total fat, 21 gms of carbohydrate, 3 gms of protein
- Starbucks Reduced Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake:
- 400 calories, 8 gms total fat, 80 gms of carbohydrate, 5 gms of protein
|Non-Fat Greek Yogurt, Banana Muffin & Slivered Almonds for the win! #200kcals #15+gms of protein!|
|If you want a super nutty taste, throw a serving of PB2 on top for an extra 50kcals and 4 grams of protein…|
Breakfast is served!