Don’t you just love it when a holiday falls on a Monday? I absolutely do, especially when I have been cooking up a storm and need that extra day to catch up on everything else I have neglected (i.e. the pile of laundry that has invaded my closet!). Nevertheless, I enjoyed every second of playing Simple-Swaps cook for the second annual “Man-Date Monster Jam Weekend”.
I married a ruggedly handsome man who loves anything Chicago sports related, in addition to a completely out of control obsession for Monster Trucks (not kidding, not only was our first date to Big Foot’s home but we also have Big Foot’s son sitting in our drive-way).
|Our first date..What you’ll do for the man you love!|
Every year since he was a kid he’s been going to see the trucks in action and this weekend was their debut out here in San Diego. Since my dad is so lucky to have three daughters and thus “missed out” on the boyish events, he jumped on the invite last year to join Wayne at the show. Thus, the “Man-Date Monster Jam Weekend” began (my mom tags along to keep me company, so sort of a mom-daughter weekend as well!).
Friday after work I hit up the local market to stock up on the staples I needed for my house guests. My mom recently started Weight Watchers and being my dad is her saboteur, I thought I would use the weekend to shower them with Simple-Swaps to tantalize their taste buds. Since my dad is a sucker for the $.49 Del Taco value menu, I started the weekend with a build your own taco, salad and nacho bar for lunch.
Success! Not only did my dad love the concept that you can press your own tortilla’s, my mom enjoyed the Chicken Tacos, Salad and Chips for less than 500 calories!
Intrigued by what Simple-Swaps were made to the menu? Well, here they are!
Cilantro-Garlic Chicken Tacos & Chips
- Chicken Taco Swap: 1 taco = 150 calories vs. 220 calories eating out!
- High in Fiber & Protein, Low in Fat & Sodium
- Boneless, skinless breasts cooked in the Crock-Pot with garlic, cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika and tomato bullion; 150 calories for 1/2 cup!
- No Salt Added Black Beans (Rinsed to reduce sodium by another 33%)
- Corn Tortillas (6″ yellow corn, 50 calories vs. 130 calories in flour tortilla)
- 0% Fat Plain Yogurt (1 TBSP = 5 calories vs. 25 calories sour cream)
- Fat Free Cheese (1 TBSP = 15 calories vs. 25 calories full-fat)
- Homemade Pico de Gallo (1/4 cup = 0mg sodium vs 350mg store bought)
- Chips & Salsa: 14 chips & 1/2 cup salsa = 150 calories vs. ENDLESS!!!
- Crunchy & satisfying!
- Homemade Pico de Gallo mixed with 1/2 cup of Trader Joe’s Chipotle Salsa to give a little kick (Must try, trust me!)
- Trader Joe’s Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
- Think the Reduced Guilt version is a better option? Think again! Not only do you get a better quality chip, you also get a larger serving size for an overall lower calorie amount as well!
- Large Chopped Salad:
- High in fiber, vitamins & super filling!
- Bell peppers, carrots, romaine hearts, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and lots of love filled this salad. It wouldn’t be a Shaw meal if it was not accompanied by a hearty portion of our leafy friends!
- Tortilla strips, heavy cheese & thick Ranch swapped for black beans, light cheese and a homemade Cholula Yogurt Dressing, yum!
Now I’m hungry! Off to eat some leftovers…be sure to check back this week for the unveiling of the Shaw breakfast and dinner specials from the weekend!