It’s no surprise than in the last 20 years portion sizes have grown dramatically in not only restaurants but also meals prepared at home. Larger plates, competition amongst restaurants, and perceived value by consumers are just a few of the factors that have contributed to the two to three-fold increase in portion sizes. Although I too am a sucker for a great deal, I know that the three hours I would have to spend at the gym burning off Olive Garden’s never ending bowl of pasta and salad combo for $6.95 is not how I want to spend my Sunday.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying avoid the specials. However, I am suggesting using a Simple-Swap the next time you go out for a bite and SHARE. I am sure there of many of you who already do this, but for those who I may be losing right now…(Friends, “Joey doesn’t SHARE food!”); hang on, I am going to try to convince you to give it a try!
Here’s a few facts on portion sizes today.
- More than 1500 extra calories are consumed today when eating a bagel for breakfast, pizza and a soda for lunch, and a salad and soda for dinner than the portion sizes served 20 years ago.
- Obesity rates parallel the increase in portion sizes, with over 1/3 of Americans classified as obese (BMI >30).
- The public majority does not know what a healthy portion actually is.
- I.E. A bowl of pasta at Olive Garden has easily over 4-5 servings of carbohydrates alone in it.
- The average calorie intake for a “combo meal” at a quick service restaurant is over 1200 calories!
- Keep in mind most Americans need only about 1500 calories to maintain their current body weight.
For those of you not buying in yet to the thought of sharing, maybe I can entice you another way. Yesterday, Wayne and I convinced our friends in town from Chicago to put the Simple-Swap of sharing in action. Not only were we all able to enjoy TWO of the Food Network favored Mexican joints in San Diego, we also saved a pretty penny. Trying more food, exploring new places and SAVING money, who could ask for anything more?!
|Tacos @ Lucha Libre & El Indio|
As you head out tomorrow for St. Patty’s Day, I challenge you to SHARE that corned beef and cabbage, leaving you with the room to share that chocolate mint ice cream later!