July 4th marks the annual Scripps Pros Running and Biking event that kicks off the holiday weekend. Wayne and I decided this year we’d partake in the festivities and sign up for the 10K run to get our butts back in shape. When we trained for the Spartan, we were dedicated to an exercise routine because we had a goal to work towards. To get that spirit back into our lives, we knew we needed a new goal; enter Operation 10K!
|Saturday Morning 5 Mile Run… Shaw Sheddown begins!|
Physical training is crucial when preparing for a race, however is really just 30% of the picture. The other 70% involves what you put into your body (#nutrition). Incorporating variety from ALL food groups is what will carry you across that finish line with the greatest success. Though the amounts of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein & fat) will change depending on your event, there are some basic points to consider for training.
- Food is fuel. Natural foods are the best source of nutrition for you body.
- Opt for lean meats and nuts over protein bars. These bars are often filled with sugar, just like a candy bar.
- Hydration is key. Drinking water pre- and post-training will help replenish your body’s fluids while acting as a natural coolant system to keep you from overheating.
- Sports drinks are great additions for those performing high endurance activities however are not necessary for events lasting under 60 minutes.
- Eat when and what is comfortable for YOU!
- Though some people may tolerate a banana and oatmeal prior to a long run, this may be too much for your stomach. Eat what feels best for you to give you the energy to take your workout to the next level.
Here’s a sample of a simple, wholesome Quest Bite that provides the perfect pre-workout boost. Each one of this little nuggets has 75 calories, 2 grams of fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates, and 3 grams of protein. I popped two before hitting the gym and DOMINATED Day 2 of our 10K challenge!
Yield 20 bites
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 sugar of choice
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp. fat of choice (avocado, oil, butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 mini bananas (1 extra large banana)
- 1/3 cup vegan carob chips
- 1/4 cup honey roasted soynuts
- Mix dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Mash bananas in separate bowl.
- Stir eggs, milk, vanilla, and fat source into bananas.
- Add dry ingredients into wet. Slowly add carob chips and soynuts.
- Spoon onto cookie sheets and bake at 350* for 12 minutes.
- Cool & enjoy!
|Pop a Quest Bite for TOTAL DOMINATION 🙂|