Nanner’s…aka bananas, are one of the most versatile fruits that just so happen to be in season 24/7! Not only are banana’s an excellent source of potassium, which is crucial in helping maintain normal blood pressure, but they also have a good amount of fiber. Fiber is our friend…remember? It’s what helps keep us feeling fuller longer while at the same time aiding digestion and colon health.
How many of you have a brown banana sitting on their counter right now? Well, instead of turning that into banana bread (which is also delicious), I suggest trying something new. Check out this Simple-Swap original recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie using our sugar sweetie… the banana.
- 1 medium bruised banana
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ice cream cones
- Peel banana and throw in blender; follow with adding milk, yogurt, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Blend on high, smoothie setting for roughly 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Set ice cream cones upright in container that will be sturdy enough to hold them.
- Pour liquid into each cone. (If using the recipe above, this should make 3 cones filled to the top.)
- Place Tupperware in freezer and wait until frozen, then… ENJOY!
The Nanner Cone is only 75 calories (20 from the cone itself) and is the perfect combination of fruit and chocolate to satisfy that sweet craving. Plus, this is made with NATURAL sugars, our friends fructose and lactose. Although the classic Fudgsicle has roughly the same amount of sugar (14 grams), it has a laundry list of ingredient, of which 3 of the first 5 happen to be added sugar! Whether it’s a banana, berries or another fruit, experiment with your blender and see what frozen treats you come up with! Feel free to share here as well :).