Dieter’s beware…there’s bacon over there! Sound familiar? Don’t fret! I’m here to tell you bacon is NOT your enemy. In fact, bacon can be incorporated into a balanced meal plan when you choose the right kind.
The right kind… (sigh!). I know, sort of ambiguous right?! Rather than send you into the wild (aka supermarket) unarmed, here’s a few tips I recommend to look for.
- Turkey Bacon.
- It has 60% less calories from fat than pork varieties, as well as less sodium (depending on the brand).
- RD Recommends:
- Butterball Turkey Bacon (1 slice = 25 calories, 2.5 gm fat, 130 mg sodium, 2 gm protein)
- Thick & juicy slices! This is my favorite.
- Jennie-O Turkey Bacon (1 slice = 30 calories, 2.5 gm fat, 125 mg sodium, 2 gm protein)
- Pork Bacon.
- If you’re a die hard pork fan, that’s okay too. Pay attention to slice cuts (center cut over thick cut) and opt for a lower sodium version.
- RD Recommends:
- Hormel Black Label Center Cut Bacon (1 slice = 70 calories, 5 gm fat, 300 mg sodium, 5 gm protein)
- Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Hickory Smoked Bacon (4 slices = 90 calories, 8 gm fat, 310 mg sodium, 4 gm protein)
- Take it a step further and pat the bacon with a paper towel once cooked to eliminate some of the excess grease and decrease those calories too boot!
I have to admit, I have always been a turkey sausage fan until I met Wayne. Since I am not a pork connoisseur, we met in the middle with the turkey bacon. I must admit, I have been exceptionally pleased by the classic twists we have Simple-Swapped to satisfy our cravings for something naughty without the extra guilt.
|Turkey Bacon & Egg White Delight.. Take that McDonalds!|
|Grilled Stuffed Turkey Bacon Pita… Sorry Taco Bell!|
Have a Simple-Swap of your own using the beloved bacon? Feel free to share here, I’d love to hear from you.