A simple, healthy buddha bowl filled with whole grains and a rainbow of veggies! Make this Amaranth Buddha Bowl your own by pairing your favorite roasted vegetables with cooked amaranth and a delicious dressing!
Have you ever cooked with amaranth? It’s an ancient grain that’s chock full of fiber and protein. Amaranth is gluten free, vegan and pretty much my new best friend.
It’s native to Peru and common in many of their staple dishes. Adding amaranth to your diet is a great way to lower your cholesterol and improve your cardiovascular health!
Amaranth is super simple to make. Simply pour 1 cup of amaranth into 3 cups of boiling water. Stir for a few minutes then turn down the heat and let simmer until all the water is absorbed.
Season as desired and serve up with other veggies you have on hand.
I chose to pair it with beets, Brussel sprouts, carrots and cottage cheese! Not only do you get to eat the rainbow with this Buddha Bowl, but also your “abc’s”!
Amaranth Buddha Bowl
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup amaranth
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 cups Brussel sprouts
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ½ teaspoon sea salt optional
- 2 whole beets cleaned and peeled
- 1 cup distilled vinegar
- 8 cups spinach
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup dressing of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread the sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts and carrots evenly out onto the prepared pan. Place in the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic, if desired.
- While the oven is preheating, add water to a small pot and set over high heat. Once water comes to a boil, add the amaranth, stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer amaranth until water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and cover.
- In a separate small pot, place distilled vinegar and 1 cup of water. Add beets and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes.
- To assemble:
- Place ½ cup amaranth in the bottom of each bowl and add ¼ portions of the sweet potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, spinach and cottage cheese. Serve with balsamic vinegar or dressing of choice.